S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Hardtop Rattle

Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the sound is coming from the rear, try ordering the Honda OEM hardtop rear seal. I purchased my forbidden used from a local member, when i test drove it on his car is rattled a lot just moving forward and leaving the driveway. He had all of the supplied hardware and seals from forbidden. When I installed it on my car i used OEM latches and catchers and the OEM rear seal and now it only rattles if I hit a bump and even then its minimal. The seal is expensive ~$200 but worth it!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just like mentioned above you can get the Honda rear seals but they're expensive trust me I know I work at a Honda store lol I also tried what mysterio did and stuffed the latches with black electric tape and foam which was temporary fix.. I switched to permanent izzy front brackets, put a layer of foam tape from home depot which is similar to what they put around windows with ac units around the rear of the ht. I laid the forbidden seal over the foam tape and its a wrap. Been perfect ever since especially with the izzy bracket upfront.. Not a single creak or rattle as of yesterday..
Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used hard top from a local member in the beginning of last year. I put it on and it did rattle over rough roads, over bumps and drive ways. It drove me nut. Last week I put shinsu grease in all rubbers, plastic washers between the nuts, the rear brackets and the hard top. It still rattled like crazy. After doing some more research, I decided to give it one more try. I did the following:
1. Went to lowes hardware store and bought 2 rolls of peel and seal for about $36. I cover this stuff on the inside of my hard top. It does not smell bad like some people said.
2. Also at lowes, I bought a package of rubber seal for the sunroof for about $8 and I used it as the bottom seal on top of the old seal.
3. I bought a used set of oem front latches from a local s2ki member and I installed them on my hard top. Too lazy to take them off from the soft top.
4. I put on the shinsu grease again on all rubber seals including the new one.
It took some muscle which I don't have to bolt on the rear brackets to the hard top. I had to push it down real hard while my wife put on the bolts while the front latches were not locked in by the way. After I secured the rear brackets, I then locked in the front latches. It is easier with 2 people.

I took my car out of the garage this morning and drove down the drive way, no cracking noise at all. Drove it down the freeway, over bumps, rough roads, still no rattle, no cracking noise.
Man I am so happy it works. I also noticed that I can listen to the music much better because the cabin is much more quiet.
I got these ideas from searching our forum and googling. Thanks guys.
I plan on putting on some light headliner to cover up the aluminum of the peel and seal material in the future.
If your hard top rattles and/or makes cracking noise that drives you crazy, you could try #2 and #4 first, and if it still does not solve your problem, try #1 also. It works great for me.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To follow up on before I just replaced my front oem latches w izzy permanent ones and my hardtop is finally totally silent. The rattles and wind noise from the front are all gone. I also used shinetzu grease all over and that worked as well
Old 11-26-2014, 05:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zippity
Does the OEM hardtop rattle?
NO if you adjust the latches properly.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by S~Factor
Originally Posted by zippity' timestamp='1416509086' post='23412362
When you say adjust the latches can you elaborate? I've looked at them and I didn't see a way to adjust them.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suphawk
Originally Posted by S~Factor' timestamp='1417013821' post='23418818
[quote name='zippity' timestamp='1416509086' post='23412362']
When you say adjust the latches can you elaborate? I've looked at them and I didn't see a way to adjust them.
Thanks
[/quote]

If you take off the side panels to expose the latches on the top that do the 180 degree twist (whatever they're called), the three bolts that mount the bracket to the hardtop should have a couple of millimeters of adjustment around them thanks to the holes being oversized. At least that's how it was when I adjusted my OEM top - it still rattles a little bit over really rough road so I'm debating some Izzy brackets.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by my02s2k1
I bought a used hard top from a local member in the beginning of last year. I put it on and it did rattle over rough roads, over bumps and drive ways. It drove me nut. Last week I put shinsu grease in all rubbers, plastic washers between the nuts, the rear brackets and the hard top. It still rattled like crazy. After doing some more research, I decided to give it one more try. I did the following:
1. Went to lowes hardware store and bought 2 rolls of peel and seal for about $36. I cover this stuff on the inside of my hard top. It does not smell bad like some people said.
2. Also at lowes, I bought a package of rubber seal for the sunroof for about $8 and I used it as the bottom seal on top of the old seal.
3. I bought a used set of oem front latches from a local s2ki member and I installed them on my hard top. Too lazy to take them off from the soft top.
It took some muscle which I don't have to bolt on the rear brackets to the hard top. I had to push it down real hard while my wife put on the bolts while the front latches were not locked in by the way. After I secured the rear brackets, I then locked in the front latches. It is easier with 2 people.

I took my car out of the garage this morning and drove down the drive way, no cracking noise at all. Drove it down the freeway, over bumps, rough roads, still no rattle, no cracking noise.
Man I am so happy it works. I also noticed that I can listen to the music much better because the cabin is much more quiet.
I plan on putting on some light headliner to cover up the aluminum of the peel and seal material in the future.
If your hard top rattles and/or makes cracking noise that drives you crazy, you could try #2 and #4 first, and if it still does not solve your problem, try #1 also. It works great for me.
Wow, that's a lot of work...If you could provide pics of the process; or at least the aftermath...I think that would be really beneficial
Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
To follow up on before I just replaced my front oem latches w izzy permanent ones and my hardtop is finally totally silent. The rattles and wind noise from the front are all gone. I also used shinetzu grease all over and that worked as well
So you just bought the permanent latches and all the noise is gone? My squeaks don't really come from the front. I wonder if I would have as much luck as you by simply buying these brackets. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by zippity
Originally Posted by my02s2k1' timestamp='1416986492' post='23418600

Wow, that's a lot of work...If you could provide pics of the process; or at least the aftermath...I think that would be really beneficial
Here are the pics you requested, as you can see nothing special here.

I also put this to the bottom of the hardtop

All that stopped all the noise. I already ordered the foam backed headliner, I will add that to cover the aluminum soon.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Rattle