S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Has Anyone Purchased the "New Mold" 2Sided CF Mugen Rep Hardtops...?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone Purchased the "New Mold" 2Sided CF Mugen Rep Hardtops...?

From either RSG or Forbidden?

They have a new mold for their 2Sided CF Mugen Replica Hardtop.

I am on the waiting list for one and was wondering the people ahead of me, How was the Fitment and Wind Noise?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by na2king

I am on the waiting list for one and was wondering the people ahead of me, How was the Fitment and Wind Noise?

Thanks!!!
i bought the Rockstar Garage top. it is amazing. fitment is perfect. i didnt even grease the seals and its still only a little creaky.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by hondalovr13
Originally Posted by na2king' timestamp='1391239212' post='22993773

Thanks!!!
i bought the Rockstar Garage top. it is amazing. fitment is perfect. i didnt even grease the seals and its still only a little creaky.
when did you buy yours?

they have a new mold
Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want to see this.....
Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by thait
i want to see this.....
I should be getting mines soon!

I will do a full on review!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 PM

I think i was one of the first people with a top from the new mold.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by hondalovr13
I think i was one of the first people with a top from the new mold.
sweet, when did you pick it up?

from RSG or Forbidden?

how is the fitment? how is the cabin noise at higher speed?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

ns if they changed it again. i got one of the first ones in oct. its supposedly 6mm shorter by the windshield. i had some issues an ground down the cf top to 25% thickness in some areas, yeah thats 75% shaved away, not for the faint of heart. it doesnt leak water, and after i shaved it, it doesn't squeak anymore. be prepared for some trial n error. get a buddy. i did it myself and ended up taking it off at least a half dozen to a dozen times. PITA.

Has Anyone Purchased the "New Mold" 2Sided CF Mugen Rep Hardtops...?-lqppue8.jpg
Has Anyone Purchased the "New Mold" 2Sided CF Mugen Rep Hardtops...?-efg4hgk.jpg

i havent taken any updated pics but this is what i've deemed the culprit for all the squeaks. the top doesnt sit wide enough when fully bolted. The company i purchased it from claimed this was normal! oh yeah just bolt it down more, it goes away. trying to explain to a them that it simply doesnt fit didnt work. its like talking to a wall thats 2500 miles away, and he's already got the cash in his hand. "no i cant bolt it down, the rubber grommet is in the way" " oh, well, then thats your problem you need to bolt it down more" "no i cant" " well then bend your brackets more, try putting them on the ground and stepping on them. that should stretch them"

seriously?

so just to recap. if i didnt shave mine down, i also had several hideous gap.
Has Anyone Purchased the "New Mold" 2Sided CF Mugen Rep Hardtops...?-wdas7nc.jpg
drivers side
Has Anyone Purchased the "New Mold" 2Sided CF Mugen Rep Hardtops...?-gm1pad9.jpg

eventually i bought 2 piece brackets, the izzy ones didnt line up at all and could only get one bolt in on each side. the newer brackets are of decent quality. i tried just using the 2 piece brackets. didnt make a mole hill of difference. got fed up with the roof and was about to list it for sale when i took the dremel to it. i didnt care if i put a f@#king hole through the pos, (i was reluctant to grinding it as i didnt think it would fit and ulitimately i wanted an exchange or a different roof all together. they didnt budge so i figured f it. i've installed a few cf hoods and know how little adjustment can be made with cf. the stuff doesnt bend folks.) it is what it is, but miraculously, through my rage, i got it to fit. i didnt want to have to "grind" mine, but i really didnt want to throw away 2 grand either.

now that i've fitted it, no squeaks, no rattles. the part that upset me most is, no one seems to mention the grinding method to relieving squeaks. it could have all been over if they just said, oh looks like we left too much on there, shave it down and problem solved. But instead, let me figure it out, go back n forth with me on the phone for 2/3 weeks, all so that your company doesnt get tarnished. your replica company doesnt get tarnished, your replica company that buys 3rd party tops and sells them as their own doesnt get tarnished for fitment issues.

not going to say what company, they're all the same and they each gotta put food on the table. imo if they dont make em inhouse, they're just another 3rd party retailer. so just pick one

even though it fits, and it doesnt squeak, doesnt squeak going up driveways, or leak water in the heaviest on monsoons. it was still a nightmare. for the first three weeks i questioned my decision, i could have bought 2 soft tops and had them installed for the price of this one hardtop. in the end, is one hardtop really worth 2 soft tops? if yes, buy it and do what i did.

ps had to redo my window seals. when i went to remove them, they stripped the clear coat. awesome.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forrebidden does make them in house. RSG does too I beleive. Forrebidden has great customer service. They just did some fiberglass work and replaced all the seals on my top for free even though I bought my top nearly 3 years ago. They support their products and stand by them
Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 PM

I am having mines installed in person... dang thank you for sharing your experience, I hope it all worked out for you!