S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

HeelToe Auto's First Locking S2000 Top Latch Button

Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its great to have an option for hardtop owners but @ $200, ouch, I think I'll pass. Atleast until I get some member feedback on how durable these are. Those little locks look neat and clean but I'm not sure how well they'd hold up against a pair vice grips.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HT Lock Button is constructed out of a solid piece of Aluminum with the lock cylinder secured in the middle. This is not a hollow piece, which I think some people think they are. Check out blog posting for more pictures
Old 12-24-2010, 03:55 PM

put a video together and post it, maybe this might answers some of these questions. I would like to see it myself as well...
Old 12-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

A video is already planned, along with a DIY and intro for the HT. We should be able to get it one posted after the holiday season until then ill be glad to answer any questions or post other pictures that we have.

We also have plans to have pictures of it installed and how it operates. Anyone else that has any question or concerns please let us know and we can address them as well.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:18 AM

sorry if you already went over this but,.......

ok ok ok let me get this straight. if i pre order a set for the hard top lock latches that go on top of the hard top with 2 keys,.... when you guys finish developing the strikers / catchers lock mechanism you'll throw those into the package too for free? all shipped for $199.00?

will 2 keys also come with the strikers / catchers lock mechanism?
and last question. how long till these are ready? soon?

i am really close to ordering a set. i would like a set in anodized black =)
Old 12-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi, thanks for your interest.

If you order a pair, you will get 2 HT locks and at least 2 Keys. If we decide to key both locks the same, you will get 2 keys, for a pair of HT Locks. if we decide to keep the locks different, you will get 4 keys (2 keys for each side for the HT locks)

Anodized color (Red or Black)

You will also get a pair of stickers similar to the OEM immobilizer sticker and seat lock stickers to warn potential thieves that your HT is Locked.

What will also be included is security for the catchers...not necessarily a locking mechanism, but something to secure the catcher/stickers so potential thieves cannot just use a Philips screw driver to remove them. But if it ends up being a mechanism that has a lock, you of course will get keys for that as well

Cliff Notes for whats included:
2 HT Locks (2-4 Keys)
1 Pair of Stickers
Anodized color (black or red)
Security for Catcher/Strikers

Our goal is to try to keep everything clean and as OEM as possible while offering the necessary deterrent and protection but still allow you to unlatch your HT or swap parts with ease

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

First things first....I made a video of the operation of the button: check it out and you'll see the function of this part is exactly identical to the stock button. We don't have a vid of it working in a car yet but you'll get the idea off this (more than anything I am practicing some video editing skills).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC9J9gQwtRk [/media]

We'll get an installed video up as soon as we can, but I wouldn't get too worried about the function being any different than the stock latch you have. Also by the scale of things I am not expecting any hard top to have a fitment issue. Worst case, if the key sits close to the ceiling of the roof, trimming the head down should be a simple solution.

RE: Those little locks look neat and clean but I'm not sure how well they'd hold up against a pair vice grips.

I am actually failing to see how vice grips would be able to open this. If you mean like, "use them to push the button really hard" that isn't going to work. These locks are specifically designed to prevent the button from being pushed with a locking plunger action. The security of the stock latching mechanism is all retained, so unless you feel like the stock latches are inadequate you should have a relative piece of mind with this setup.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to rain on the parade or anything but does anyone else see the design flaw on this?

Why would you only protect the latches and not the catchers?

I see it this way......... If someone is going to steal a HT, I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing. Why wouldn't you just pull back the plastic trim, take 4 screws off and steal the HT with catchers and latches

I can see this working for the not so smart thief but for someone that is targeting an S2000 HT, I'm pretty sure they will get around this. How does this protect the HT? I really don't see how this protects much???
Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 PM

hmm, maybe the addition of security screws would really complete this kit, even if you had to add a few $$ to make it happen. The additional value would be worth $3000 (or whatever you paid for your HT)

Old 12-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarek,Dec 27 2010, 06:46 PM
hmm, maybe the addition of security screws would really complete this kit, even if you had to add a few $$ to make it happen. The additional value would be worth $3000 (or whatever you paid for your HT)

Yes I agree but don't you think that this is something that should of been thought of before building hype on a product that does nothing?......

People will buy these and expect to be protected from people trying to steal HT's.

I still don't get why people are so excited about something that does almost nothing to prevent it to get stolen

Seriously though, pull back the plastic trim and look at how easy it would be to steal it with catchers and latches....... Total of 4 phillip screws and off with the HT.

Quick Reply: HeelToe Auto's First Locking S2000 Top Latch Button