S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

How are AP2V1 wheels refinished? What is wrong with my wheels?

Old 03-12-2022, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How are AP2V1 wheels refinished? What is wrong with my wheels?

I just picked up this set locally and figured it was clear coat failure. Fortunately(or unfortunately) the places where it's failing isn't the painted surface.

I tried polishing the clear coat and it got rid of all the oxidation. However, it looks like there's still some etching on the surface. I'm afraid that if I hit this with a more abrasive pad, I'll ruin the metal surface underneath.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-12-2022, 08:46 PM
Site Moderator

Received 351 Likes on 305 Posts

That looks a little further gone than just a polishing pad is going to fix. I’d probably take them to a wheel repair place and see what they say. Likely need a full strip and refinish.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:12 AM

Received 1,163 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Before you spend a lot of money on refinishing your wheels take a look at AP2V1 reproduction wheels. Post 104 summarizes a few seasons with them. I paid $175 for one (1) APV2 wheel to be refinished a couple summers ago. I recall the reproduction wheels were about that price new.

-- Chuck
Old 03-13-2022, 07:39 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Here are mine freshly refinished. They diamond cut the face repaint the rest and clear coat all.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

What a great job Jaymz! How much did that run you each? I would love to find someone local who can do such work!
Old 03-14-2022, 09:39 AM
kos

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Was going to say, faces look like they're diamond cut, and jaymz post just confirms that.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:19 PM

Received 1,606 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by limenuke
I just picked up this set locally and figured it was clear coat failure. Fortunately(or unfortunately) the places where it's failing isn't the painted surface.

I tried polishing the clear coat and it got rid of all the oxidation. However, it looks like there's still some etching on the surface. I'm afraid that if I hit this with a more abrasive pad, I'll ruin the metal surface underneath.

Any thoughts?
Reminds me of some pics a P car owner/colleague showed me of the after effects of wheel cleaner/car wash that actually destroyed the finish. He replaced his wheels. Ouch. He now spends about $70 on quality, safe for wheels (and other stuff) cleaners. You get what you pay for,

I wound up refinishing my wheels as the PO applied a bit of yellow to match the paint job. Terrible. I did not want to powder coat. I used Duplicolor, twice actually. I did the second one after a year or so. There is a learning curve. Apply at least 5 clear coats. I sanded down enough to remove high spots and roughen the surface for paint adhesion.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 1,302 Likes on 977 Posts

The OP's clearcoat has failed. Just needs to be stripped and re-coated.

They should be able to strip all the coating, clean up the faces (leave about 1500 grit marks on them) and re-spray.

You can DIY. But I don't know where you can get methyl cyanocrilate (sp) paint stripper anymore. You'll need 2K clear which you can now find in a can. And a respirator.

And a lot of time and effort.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by robjoshua228@yahoo.com
What a great job Jaymz! How much did that run you each? I would love to find someone local who can do such work!
The set was approx $1000 cdn. Straightened one wheel, full refinish, and ceramic coated.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Before you spend a lot of money on refinishing your wheels take a look at AP2V1 reproduction wheels. Post 104 summarizes a few seasons with them. I paid $175 for one (1) APV2 wheel to be refinished a couple summers ago. I recall the reproduction wheels were about that price new.

-- Chuck
The links to those ap2v1 wheels are dead. Seems like they're no longer available.

Quick Reply: How are AP2V1 wheels refinished? What is wrong with my wheels?