S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

How to increase straight-line performance

Old 03-13-2013, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to increase straight-line performance

Hey guys, so I've been looking for a new car lately, and I wanted something that's a good balance between track car and drag car. I LOVE the S2k's styling, motor and track ability, but I wish the straight line had a little more oomph. Is it possible to keep the engine n/a and get a sub 5 0-60, and a 1/4 in low 13s maybe even high 12s? And if I do have to go forced induction, if I got a turbo that made the car capable of these numbers, how much would that shorten my engines life?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure if our cars are capable of 12's N/A..im sure they are on a good build but the money would be insane..def. possible on an F/I build but the reliability will go down..obviously all depends on how well you do it...s2k dan on here is turboed and he stated he's gone three years now with very little problems...nitrous is another possibility i guess..dont know if it will get you into the 12's if you are stock besides the nitrous...maybe full bolt-ons, tune, plus nitrous will get you there but again you are looking at engine problems down the road if you spray to often
Old 03-13-2013, 04:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looked in the FI subforum?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Site Moderator

Received 349 Likes on 303 Posts

Supercharger or turbo. Honestly the car is plenty fast in a straight line on the street. If your main concern is straight line performance you are looking at the wrong car since you will spend another $10k boosting the car.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

By an S2000 and a Corvette ZR1 to push it.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic9
not sure if our cars are capable of 12's N/A..im sure they are on a good build but the money would be insane..def. possible on an F/I build but the reliability will go down..obviously all depends on how well you do it...s2k dan on here is turboed and he stated he's gone three years now with very little problems...nitrous is another possibility i guess..dont know if it will get you into the 12's if you are stock besides the nitrous...maybe full bolt-ons, tune, plus nitrous will get you there but again you are looking at engine problems down the road if you spray to often
Money isn't to much of an issue, since I'm in the Navy I don't have a whole lot of expenses. Yay taxpayers. But one thing I definitely have no interest in is nitrous, if I'm gonna spend money to make my car faster I want it to be permanently faster. Do turbos typically give the car a lot of problems? Or about how much would an engine swap cost?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by LukeSevi94
Originally Posted by sonic9' timestamp='1363170592' post='22400465
Money isn't to much of an issue, since I'm in the Navy I don't have a whole lot of expenses. Yay taxpayers. But one thing I definitely have no interest in is nitrous, if I'm gonna spend money to make my car faster I want it to be permanently faster. Do turbos typically give the car a lot of problems? Or about how much would an engine swap cost?
It depends on the engine you are going to use.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

swap in a v8 engine or a 2jz motor and that should make you smile.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

K24 swap
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

If you want the best compromise in substantial power delivery and reliability, picked up a good used Base comptech kit or new base SOS kit. There are guys in my local club that are still rolling around on 8-10 year old base comptech kits that have had no reliability issues. The stock motor is all forged from the factory and many people in our FI forums will attest to reliable 450-500whp on stock motors with pump gas if you tune the car appropriately. There is always fear of the unknown, I suggest you start hanging out in the Fi forums and start knowing. There is no need to ditch this car when it is a perfectly capable platform to do everything from Road course racing with GT 2’s to pulling Z06’s on the freeway if you want that sort of thing. Just need to spend the money in the right places.

Quick Reply: How to increase straight-line performance