S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Injen CAI experience

Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen CAI experience

I installed my Injen 2-piece this weekend and I feel like the car doesn't pull as hard in the 3-4.5k rpm range as the OEM airbox. I cleaned the filter with the K&N recharge kit and reset the ecu using the battery as well as the fuse method. However, vtec feels like it kicks in harder but could that be the contast due to the loss of midrange? The sound is awesome and I wasn't expecting much gains but I really didn't think I would love power. Does anyone esle with an AEM/Injen/Fujita type CAI feel a loss in the middle rpm range?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 AM

No, fujita, I dont feel as there is any lose what so ever. Its all in your head man. Its possibily cause you feel vtec hitting a tad harder so the b4 vtec doesnt seem the same. Either way your fine and your car is enjoying the cooler air. Just dont drive threw any lakes or rivers
Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 AM

^^ That was my first thought but I thought CAI generally smoothed out the vtec transition?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is actually a slight bump in hp & tq in the 3.5k-4k range because of the intake. You can see it on every S2000 with AEM 2 piece style intakes. Look at this old dyno of mine.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 AM

Hmm I definitely don't feel that jump, but like AP_one said, it could just be in my head. Anyone with an Injen care to chime in?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 PM

i have an Injen CAI , i didnt notice a drop at all
Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

It all "being in your head" is one rediculious explination. Its totally possible and very likley that what you are experiencing is a power drop in low/midrange sertany depending on the weather and driving conditions, they just don't deliver consistant performance. Thats why us veterans who have owned an S for more then say 6months and know something, run the stock box gutted with a K/N filter and best with a snorkel of some type for a ram air effect for maximum cooling and flow.

Most open filter intakes aren't tuned properly for the S, though some have multiple chambers to assist, but all of them to varring degrees suck in hot engine temp reducing their effectiveness. Once your under hood temps reach hi temps especially in stop and go traffic, the CAI so they call them, are much harder to return to cold temp once the car begains getting some air flow again. You get more heat bog, you really need an enclosed filter with the opening in direct flow from outside, not still stuck in the hood somewhere or stuck between the hot radiator and the only way to reasonably have this is through the stock box. Sure the stock box is big, clunky and doesn't sound as loud, but what do you want, looks and sound or performance? Thats the distingiushment you need to make and then get whats right for you. Guy's that are die hard beilivers in CAI's most likley came from Civic's first... which isn't the same creature
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=s2000Junky,Feb 27 2008, 10:44 PM]It all "being in your head" is one rediculious explination. Its totally possible and very likley that what you are experiencing is a power drop in low/midrange sertany depending on the weather and driving conditions, they just don't deliver consistant performance. Thats why us veterans who have owned an S for more then say 6months and know something, run the stock box gutted with a K/N filter and best with a snorkel of some type for a ram air effect for maximum cooling and flow.

Most open filter intakes aren't tuned properly for the S, though some have multiple chambers to assist, but all of them to varring degrees suck in hot engine temp reducing their effectiveness. Once your under hood temps reach hi temps especially in stop and go traffic, the CAI so they call them, are much harder to return to cold temp once the car begains getting some air flow again. You get more heat bog, you really need an enclosed filter with the opening in direct flow from outside, not still stuck in the hood somewhere or stuck between the hot radiator and the only way to reasonably have this is through the stock box.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Feb 27 2008, 10:56 PM
You obviously have no idea how the AEM/Injen 2 piece intakes work or where the filter sits, so stop spreading .
Its a multi chamber open filter intake that has a metal tube that sits under the hood. Tell me where i'm wrong?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Feb 27 2008, 11:03 PM
Its a multi chamber open filter intake that has a metal tube that sits under the hood. Tell me where i'm wrong?
Because the filter doesn't sit under the hood. It sits behind the passenger headlight, inside the fender liner, where it is away from hot air.

Quick Reply: Injen CAI experience