S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Installing CR lip with double sided tape

Old 04-29-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 1,302 Likes on 977 Posts
Default Installing CR lip with double sided tape

Hello,

Do any of you devils have a OEM CR lip that you've used double sided tape on, in lieu of drilling holes for the center and upper sections?

I've just had a new OEM bumper painted and I'd like to not drill holes in the face of it if possible.

The car won't be tracked anymore, just street driven.

How has yours been holding up? Any drooping or seperation?

I'll be using the factory bolting locations for the bottom and the sides it screws into the wheel wells.

I just don't wanna drill the bumper face.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

A quick search says people have done it with rep lips and it's held up as long as you don't scrape and shift the lip (if you scrape and break or shift the tape, you'll probably want to remove the entire thing, clean and redo the tape each time)

But you should just do it right and drill bruv ....I'd hate to drive around wondering if my lip is still holding on

Alternatively, buy a used bumper and drill/paint or buy a CR bumper that's pre-drilled if you want to save your newly painted bumper.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
A quick search says people have done it with rep lips and it's held up as long as you don't scrape and shift the lip (if you scrape and break or shift the tape, you'll probably want to remove the entire thing, clean and redo the tape each time)

But you should just do it right and drill bruv ....I'd hate to drive around wondering if my lip is still holding on

Alternatively, buy a used bumper and drill/paint or buy a CR bumper that's pre-drilled if you want to save your newly painted bumper.
Truu truu.

I was just out there looking at everything. You're right. I would probably always be wondering if the tape was OK. I need to sleep at night, so I'll just drill the holes.

Funny story...I specifically bought a CR bumper from Honda and it arrived sans holes.

I even asked the parts guy at Honda what the deal was and he didn't know.

All AP2 bumpers have the embossed drill locations on the back. So...shit eh, I suppose I can just drill it.

Weird thing is that I think I've seen those same embossed locations on original, VIN tagged bumpers from MY04-05 cars.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:38 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I recently acquired a brand new CR bumper it calmed drilled oem from HONDA. I think your parts guy had you.

good luck broheim -sad to ruin that fresh paint but hey gotta do whatcha gotta do. I wouldn’t fk around with double sided tape..
The following users liked this post:
B serious (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:34 PM

Received 166 Likes on 128 Posts

I did do it like that on one of my old s2000's. I screwed the 4 screws on the back corner then applied 3m double sided tape to where the nut faces are on the lip and attached it to the bumper along with the bottom mounting bolts. For the time I had it, it did not move or become loose at all.

The following 3 users liked this post by Orjinal:
B serious (04-29-2020), Bri (05-04-2020), IMAGINETHAT (08-05-2023)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsxtx
I recently acquired a brand new CR bumper it calmed drilled oem from HONDA. I think your parts guy had you.

good luck broheim -sad to ruin that fresh paint but hey gotta do whatcha gotta do. I wouldn’t fk around with double sided tape..
Where did you order the bumper?
Old 04-29-2020, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 415
Where did you order the bumper?

I used the online site for a dealer in Bourbonais IL. I cannot recall the name, unfortunately.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tsxtx

Dang.

Well...I guess I'll drill slooowwwly lol. The lip covers everything anyway. But I hate to leave anything improperly.

I'm not nervous bro. You're nervous.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:45 AM

Old 04-30-2020, 07:26 AM

Received 1,280 Likes on 975 Posts

I have used (not for bodywork) a double sided 3M tape made for putting numbers on masonry for a lot of things. In 2012, I was working with a friend on a potential new datalogger with sensors that would be placed on various suspension components. In order to test we wanted a good means of securing them without drilling. To test, I took a piece of this 3m tape and stuck a penny on my lower control arm of one of my cars. Last I looked (last year I think) that penny was still there.. 7 years later on a car driven year round in Minnesota.

I have also used that tape to secure other sensors and PCBA's to stuff. It absolutely holks like iron. I dont have the roll anymore, but I bought it at a hardware store. It is grey in color and maybe 1/16th inch thick. If I were using tape for something like this I would probably try that.

Quick Reply: Installing CR lip with double sided tape