S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Just Bought My First S2000...Necessary mods?

Old 11-22-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Buddy of mine bought a low mileage one as well and 6 out of 8 retainers were cracked.
I would get them checked at least for my own peace of mind, but that's just me.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 110 Likes on 103 Posts

"Necessary mods?" = NONE

Necessary maintenance = Plenty

If you want a car to mod, rice out or molest... get a Civic, or other '90s or '00s Japanese car.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Necessary mods:

Window Tint, if you want that.
Align the vehicle properly.
Change fluids with recommended ones.
Check the air filters, and replace them.
Consider a Billman TCT for Future maintenance

Get a shift knob you like
Modifry has some good stuff but the car doesn't need anything to be good
​​​
The BEST and most expensive bolt ons have very small gains. The car is very enjoyable out of the box
Old 11-24-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbels**
Buddy of mine bought a low mileage one as well and 6 out of 8 retainers were cracked.
I would get them checked at least for my own peace of mind, but that's just me.
Wow, somebody drove it hard and put it away wet!
Old 12-09-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Tires, if old, check date code.
Change ALL Fluids, anti-freeze, tranny, diff, and evac brake fluid.
I'd mark and pull all camber/caster adjusters and coat with anti sieze.....it's easy to do if you do one at a time.
Serpentine Belt replace.

if the car has few front end rock chips then a clear bra to protect the paint....if side bolsters aren't worn then Classico seat covers....if you're trying to protect what's there.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add a Miata NC front stabilizer on the rear. This eliminates the twitchy rearend.

I run a square 255 set-up with a $60 ebay Godspeed 32mm front and a Miata NC on the rear. Its predictable handling and allows more throttle control.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

If you aren't running square front vs rear tires, then I would advise against smaller than stock rear swaybar. Good for square, too much front bias for staggered.

Regarding the serp belt, if it's still the oem belt, don't replace it with aftermarket unless it's stretched past wear indicator or its dry rot cracked.

A used oem belt with a decade and 100k miles on it will still probably outlast a new aftermarket belt.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 AM

Received 1,146 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Honda doesn't make the serpentine belt, of course, but it's important to replace it with the same part they selected. It's probably twice as expensive as the AutoZone generic belt though.

Suspension mods are for guys with too much time and money on their hands or to set the car for specific racing conditions. Adjustable coil overs can help set the car for Autocross or a specific race track but the OE suspension does exceedingly well on regular roads and has a decent ride. There's a table here (somewhere) listing all the suspension parts for a specific model year and it's comparatively easy to mix and match the parts. Same with wheel and tire sizes. The best suspension mod a buddy made to his '02 was refitting the OE suspension in lieu of the mods done by a previous owner. These parts are commonly available inexpensively on Ebay.

Modifications for the sake of modifications are a slippery slope. I know and understand why other guys continue to modify their cars -- heck, I watch Mighty Car Mods -- but they're modifying "nuggets" 99% of the time and have come a very long way from Mom's driveway and most of their cars are discarded soon after.

-- Chuck
Old 12-11-2019, 07:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

Agree with most of the comments here.

A trip to Billman is a pilgrimage. If you are on the East Coast, consider it mandatory!

Tires and maintenance of all fluids is first on the list.

Re-grease the shifter and clutch fork. Shin-Etsu all rubber seals.

Modifry glove box organizer, phone holder and cup holder. Another Modifry item not mentioned here are the elastic top straps - check to make sure your top is folding properly.

Here is a great thread for what you are looking for: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...replace-first/

That thread should always be listed with this one (another great thread!): https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...#entry18385384

Finally, drive the car! This is the best way to get a feel for what the car should be like. Once you are comfortable, consider an HPDE or AutoX day, just for the fun of it.

Last edited by dwb993; 12-11-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with everyone here and I have done most of the items mentioned above and then some. However after a year of daily driving and using the stock radio, hearing the same commercial over and over, the best upgrade for me was a bluetooth radio.

Quick Reply: Just Bought My First S2000...Necessary mods?