S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

K&N FIPK Installation question

Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default K&N FIPK Installation question

Today I got my used K&N FIPK. It already came assembled but I still watched this video on youtube:

What I noticed:
1. There is no hole drilled in my hose/tube (for the temperature sensor). I guess that means it has never been used?
Also the rubber thing that you are supposed to put inside the hole is missing. Does anyone know the measurements or where to get it?
Okay nevermind. My 2004 has the sensor inside the intake manifold (or whatever the english name is). No need for drilling !

2. There is an adapter that you fit between the air filter and the hose/tube.
In the video the guy puts the tube through the airbox, then adds the adapter, then adds the air filter.
But I would have thought that you put the adapter on tube, then put the adapter in the hole of the airbox, then fit the air filter on that piece of adapter that goes through the airbox-hole inside the airbox.
Pretty much as shown here: https://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-3514_inst.pdf

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by zakazak; 09-21-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

The filter and what attaches it to the intake pipe should make a seal at the airbox entrance so hot under-hood air is kept out. I don't think the instructions are real clear on this but my original installation was critiqued by folks here three years ago as I wasn't sealed at that point. It's also important the foam on the edge of the air box is installed correctly to seal on the bottom of the hood/bonnet for the same reason of keeping hot air out of the inlet.

I think there are different instructions for the AP1, AP2V1, and AP2V2 engines based on sensors and hoses.

-- Chuck
Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Per the instructions, that is how you install it. Tube resting in the captive bracket through the hole in the shield, slide on the adapter, then slide on the filter.

There is no seal between the filter base and the box. To get the included kit materials to seal, would require you to stuff the radiused adapter on further than intended. While not explicitly stated, it appears as if the adapter is meant to function as a velocity stack, so shoving it on further would rob you of that effect. If you want a seal there, you'll need to use a secondary gasket material.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
Per the instructions, that is how you install it. Tube resting in the captive bracket through the hole in the shield, slide on the adapter, then slide on the filter.

There is no seal between the filter base and the box. To get the included kit materials to seal, would require you to stuff the radiused adapter on further than intended. While not explicitly stated, it appears as if the adapter is meant to function as a velocity stack, so shoving it on further would rob you of that effect. If you want a seal there, you'll need to use a secondary gasket material.

Thanks, thats exactly how I did it !
Except that I didn't all the wire/hose re-placing. I left them in their OEM position and used zip-ties to prevent them from flying around.
I only replaced that on hose that came from the engine and goes into the airtube.

At the end I figured out that the K&N Filter from the OEM Airbox doesn't fit into the K&N FIPK (too big) :/
I have a damaged K&N FIPK Air Filter (RP-4980) but now ordered the 50% cheaper version RC-5149 which has a "chrome cap" instead of the "carbon cap".
No idea if it will work but I will try to remove the "carbon cap" from my damaged RP-4980 and try to replace the "chrome crap" of the RC-5149 with it. Weight savings to the max !

Proof

Last edited by zakazak; 09-22-2017 at 08:13 AM.