S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Megan Racing Engine/Transmission Mounts

Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jookydrinker
Megan Racing motor mounts installed yesterday. Installation went according to previous descriptions except...I actually had trouble removing the old rubber mount from the mounting bracket. The problem for me was that there was no good way to hold down and secure the mounting bracket while attempting to loosen the nut. I tried stepping on it to hold it down, but the odd shape of the bracket made that impossible. I ended up going to home depot and bought some bolts, nuts and washers so I could fasten the bracket to my drainage grate outside my garage. That did the trick.

I guess I could have loosened the nut first before taking the mount out of the car. It's definitely accessible from the top on the passenger side. But no way I could get to the nut on the driver's side. DIYGuys have a video for this install on Youtube and they used an electric impact wrench while holding the bracket down by hand on a bench. I'm a little skeptical that would work, but I don't have an impact wrench so I couldn't try that method.

As for how the car is with the new mounts...

The Good:
Car is tight. So tight. My car used to wobble under braking. Now it's gone.

The Bad:
There are definitely more vibrations transmitted to the cabin. Agreed with the others who say that it's mostly felt in the pedals and the steering wheel, although I can feel it in the seat as well. It's not super terrible, but I am looking forward to it lessening after it's broken in.

Verdict:
The improved handling and shifting is well worth installing the Megan mounts. I do wonder if I installed new OEM mounts instead whether or not it would feel as tight. In any case, as long as I can tolerate the vibrations I will consider this a worthwhile upgrade.
What he said