UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Uprated engine mounts?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprated engine mounts?

What engine mounts are folk using?

My manifold (Megan racing) touches my steering rack when engine under load.

Initial thoughts were one of these engine torque dampers but given the price (approx. £150) I've changed my thinking slightly...

Figure that my engine mounts might not be in the best nick anyway so late in their life so why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone and replace with stiffer mounts?

Found vibratechnics for £292 for both or megan racing for £235 including gearbox mounts.

Vibratechnics certainly look better but any advise/tips on here? Did a search but drawing a bit of a blank really.

Trying not to spend cash on the car but in the process of fixing issues I always like to upgrade if that makes sense.

FYI: Car is used on the road but will be used for sprints/hillclimbs/trackdays.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 12-04-2013, 02:45 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I like the idea of draining the oil out of the OEM and filling with poly like in this thread here there is also some good feedback about the various mounts out there
Old 12-04-2013, 02:49 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

That wouldn't be brilliant tbh, you've just removed the internal damping oil and increased the spring rate to boot, would make it less controlled and harsher than a similar setup with stiffer mounts that were still silicon filled
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Banned

Hi,

I have these in stock:

The rubber hardness is increased from 55-75 (Shore D) and the effective spring rate of the bush is increased from 6kgf/mm to 14kgf/mm

Additionally Spoon also reinforced the transmission bush mount bar - as shown above.

If you are looking for even more stiffness then you could use the Spoon engine mount ring. It limits the deflection angle of the engine.

Used in conjunction with the uprated mounts it may cause engine vibration.

Anthony
Old 12-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I had some Megan engine mounts fitted last Thursday. Didn't fit the gearbox ones as i didn't see much point

Performance wise you cant go wrong, the gear change between 3rd and 4th is amazing now and super smooth. Well worth the money compared to other brands. Vibration wise you can notice the extra shaking on cold start ups but once its up to temperature its not worse than OEM. You can hear the engine noise more in the cabin but for me the benefits outway the downsides.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
I had some Megan engine mounts fitted last Thursday. Didn't fit the gearbox ones as i didn't see much point

Performance wise you cant go wrong, the gear change between 3rd and 4th is amazing now and super smooth.
How does fitting new engine mounts improve the gearchange? The engine and gearbox are a solid item and the gear lever isn't attached to the car, but directly to the gearbox.

Replace the broken mount with another one and fit an ETD for £30.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

When i say improved the gear change im referring to how the car picks up the drive after pressing the clutch selecting gear and then coming back off the clutch. I have an Ingalls damper and it does tighten things up alot but the uprated mounts make a much bigger difference.

The difference is now that its a smooth quick gear change you can tell that the gearbox and engine aren't rocking backwards and forwards when coming on and off the power. As soon as you get back off the clutch all that movement with the OEM mounts isn't there with the stiffer ones, it feels instant and tight.

My OEM mounts were 60,000 miles old and in good condition but it seems a waste of time for me to replace then with OEM at high prices, rather than fit a stiffer item that's cheaper and more suited to dealing with more abuse.

One of the best things i done on my integra type r was fit energy suspension torque mount inserts and i would say the same again with the S2000, the change is very noticeable. Some people will find the additional vibration and noise tiresome but i don't notice it, you get a few extra rattles but nothing over the top.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by markforrester99' timestamp='1386187449' post='22907249

Performance wise you cant go wrong, the gear change between 3rd and 4th is amazing now and super smooth.
How does fitting new engine mounts improve the gearchange? The engine and gearbox are a solid item and the gear lever isn't attached to the car, but directly to the gearbox.

Replace the broken mount with another one and fit an ETD for £30.
I was looking at ETD's at £150 odd quid. Are the cheapo ones on ebay etc up to the job? Not usually one for going for names etc but always slightly dubious of cheap bits on ebay.

If they work for all the cost of them I might give them a try as I only need to stop the engine movement a tiny bit to stop the megan manifold touching the steering rack under load.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my current mounts (engine movement seems normal). Was just that with looking at ETD's for £150odd I figured engine mounts was a proper fix for not much more given that my mounts probably aren't as stiff as they once were.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
When i say improved the gear change im referring to how the car picks up the drive after pressing the clutch selecting gear and then coming back off the clutch.