S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

New-ish S2K owner modding help

Old 03-25-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-ish S2K owner modding help

Hey! So long story short I bought a year 2000 s2k in July of last year for $8,000 and have been doing some work fixing issues the previous owner neglected. New brakes, new serpentine belt, new rotors, new plugs, etc. Simple stuff. I love this car and don't ever plan to sell it which is why I've decided to start planning some mods to keep it happy for the long run. I know enough about cars to do the work myself (once the Navy pays me enough to rent a house) but I don't know enough about s2000s to decide what I CAN do. Basically I want to start by stripping it completely, sand blasting it, fixing any problem spots, and giving it a fresh paint job. Then as I'm putting it back together id like to delete as much as I can live without. I want the car to be as basic as possible with the exception of a radio. This means no computer, different tranny and engine, no cat, etc. So how insane am I?
Old 03-25-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Its not insanity, its idiocy. You want the car to be a 60's British roadster, then get one. Don't turn the S into one.

I get wanting a no bones basic car. But you don't need to scrap some of the best parts of the car. Motor. Trans. How much do you think the computer weighs?

The car is already pretty basic. You can lose the spare, get a lighter battery. There are a bunch of lightening tricks you can do.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:10 PM

The s2k is a pretty simple car as it is. There's not much of anything else you can really strip from it because it's already so lightweight out of the box.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Its not insanity, its idiocy. You want the car to be a 60's British roadster, then get one. Don't turn the S into one.

I get wanting a no bones basic car. But you don't need to scrap some of the best parts of the car. Motor. Trans. How much do you think the computer weighs?

The car is already pretty basic. You can lose the spare, get a lighter battery. There are a bunch of lightening tricks you can do.
I'm not trying to lighten it, im trying to reduce the amount of parts that can **** up. I may keep the engine and tranny but if I do I definitely need to supercharge it. I'm gonna delete the catalytic convertor and throw in a long pipe, that's all I know for sure
Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JordenJace
im trying to reduce the amount of parts that can **** up
Originally Posted by JordenJace
I definitely need to supercharge it
Does not compute
Old 03-26-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by r733up
Does not compute
when it messed up a supercharger is easier to get to than some of those electronics
Old 03-26-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Its just getting dumber and dumberer...

You want to replace what is perhaps the most reliable truely high performance motor and sweetest shifting trans ever fitted to a sporting automobile with something that has less parts so its more reliable? Then supercharge it?

You want to remove the computer too, and what, go with something carbureted?

This is a car that relishes redline shifting on a daily basis, and does nothing but ask for more. Keep the oil level topped off, and drive as hard as you care. Repeat. For 300k+ miles.

You aren't going to improve the cars reliability by swapping to a different drivetrain...
Old 03-26-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Agreed.

I say just do some maintenance and enjoy the car for 6 months and then see if you still want to make these drastic changes. If that's the case, sell the S and look for an old roadster.

I've had my 04' for 5 years, tracked it twice and daily drive it. Hardly any issues.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to the S family, but jesus, slow down a little.

Deal with the little stuff to get it back into shape, sure.
But definitely take your time and do some looking at what people have done to theirs.
What works, what doesn't, issues along the way, etc.

It'll benefit you (and your wallet) in the long run, and gives you time to drive your car which will also clue you in as to what you want to change.
There's a lot of great info on this site, check the FAQ's, check the Automotive Builds in Gallery, etc.
Even take a look in your local section, maybe there's some meets you can attend where people have been around for years and can also help you clue you in to what your end game will be and how best to get there.

Cliffs version: take your time to enjoy the car while also learning what needs to change to your liking and how best to get the result you want. Enjoy that car forever
Old 03-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Lol ummmm I guess one way to never have engine problems is to remove the engine entirely. I mean what engine do you think will go in and have fewer issues? There is a lot of examples of the engines in these cars going hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues.

Then again you paid $8k for the car go ahead and do whatever you want to it. I doubt it will make it much worse than what I picture an $8k S2000 being. Whole thing stinks of a troll post anyways.

Quick Reply: New-ish S2K owner modding help