S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

New owner - guidance with mods

Old 01-27-2021, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - guidance with mods

Hey amigos,
I just picked up a s2000. Its a 2004 with 2005 motor. Dont go nuts about searching the forum and stuff, i am just trying to take the easy route. ...I want to know what modifications i should do and things i shouldnt waste my money on. I am going to turbo it, so i dont want to do redundant work, might as well plan everything in one shot. Can somebody summarize for me what i need to do, before i select the turbo ? if you got any suggestions for turbos, do let me know as well. i am researching on the forum as well and making a lilst.
thanks guys

Old 01-27-2021, 04:10 PM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

If only it were that easy. There is no single path. The supporting mods required vary with power goals. What hp/tq are you aiming for?
Old 01-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Jub

Received 389 Likes on 311 Posts

Nice car. This is going to sound harsh and not be what you want to hear. You need to do a lot more research or pay a lot of money to a shop to build it for you. You are either going to need to understand the avenue you are going down or be willing to pay someone else to have that knowledge and understand that you're resigning them to be the people that work on your car. Putting a turbo on a car that was not designed to have one is not a simple thing. There is no step by step thing you do and simply bolt some stuff together. You'll also need to take into consideration cooling, fueling, and tuning. The extra power stresses the trans, diff, and axles more if you're going to be really driving the car hard. Honestly, if you want a 500hp car, buy something else before you spend a bunch on this one and realize it's not designed to be a 500hp car.
The following users liked this post:
R00567 (02-01-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 04:47 PM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

Concur. But add if you'd be happy with a 400whp car, suddenly things are much more realistic. Most of the drivetrain can survive at that level (assuming torque that typical of builds at this hp level). Bigger injectors, larger pump, and a tuning solution with a good tune.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys. I am happy with 400-500HP range. I came from c7 z06 with 800HP, so HP is HP. I just want a fun car that i can track from time to time. I am doing my research, but i was just looking to take a shortcut on the info. I will start compiling a list of parts or route i need to take.

thanks guys
Old 01-27-2021, 05:26 PM
Jub

Received 389 Likes on 311 Posts

The supercharger route is much more common and defined. You'll be able to get a much easier answer and get 400+ hp with that. Turbo is much more of a custom thing on these cars. Drivetrains can hold up in the 400 hp range, generally, but if you're tracking hard/frequently or launching at an autocross, the trans/diff are not really going to hold that level of power consistently.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Nice car. This is going to sound harsh and not be what you want to hear. You need to do a lot more research or pay a lot of money to a shop to build it for you. You are either going to need to understand the avenue you are going down or be willing to pay someone else to have that knowledge and understand that you're resigning them to be the people that work on your car. Putting a turbo on a car that was not designed to have one is not a simple thing. There is no step by step thing you do and simply bolt some stuff together. You'll also need to take into consideration cooling, fueling, and tuning. The extra power stresses the trans, diff, and axles more if you're going to be really driving the car hard. Honestly, if you want a 500hp car, buy something else before you spend a bunch on this one and realize it's not designed to be a 500hp car.
This. If you wanted a fun track car in the 400-500 range, the easiest way would have been going with a C7 Grand Sport.

So far, people have been only talking about the turbo. You'll need a BBK, rollbar, and probably aero on top of that. It's 12-pack can of worms.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 supercharged. Not sure where you’re located but look up Billman or LHT.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it NA with a stock tune so you never have to worry about the car breaking down. just keep up with oils, she should stay running for a long time
Old 01-28-2021, 06:41 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Forced induction is the entry into a money pit. But it's only money. And it still can't compete on the street with the guys who spend real money.

You're gonna need a clutch and higher output fuel pump for starters. And an aftermarket ECU and tune. This will put you in for a couple thousand dollars before you even get to deciding if you want to go turbo or super charged. As noted you can bolt on a supercharger in a weekend in your driveway. Turbo takes a lot more work. A couple years ago I priced the LHT supercharger installation it came to about $9,000 and I still needed to get the car to Florida.

Your money, your car, have fun!

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: New owner - guidance with mods