S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

New source for replica side strakes - Review

Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts
Default New source for replica side strakes - Review

Latest update: Installed one side, upper only so far (time constraints). Below are photos. I used 3M mounting tape, not the stuff it came with. Used no screws, just the tape. Every surface that could be taped was. The part that touches wheel opening, those raised ridges on the back of part, and the ridge that on original is meant for a plastic rivet.

New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190712_150638.jpg

This made it a little challenging as tape needs to meet with cars body in 3 dimensions. Can't 'drop' it down into place like you can with, say, a spoiler. Have to come in at an angle, yet make sure its aligned properly from the moment any portion first makes contact. The piecemeal tape means you can't peal the red protectant out from under while part is held in place like you can with a spoiler.

I used blue painters tape as a guide. Held it up to car dry, marked where it should go with the tape. Aimed for that alignment as I pressed it onto car during actual install.

I mentioned previously that there were some gaps. I used my heat gun on the back side, with hand on painted side to make sure didn't overheat and burn paint, then tweaked and torqued it a bit to get better fit as it cooled. I did this prior to applying the mounting tape.

Between that and the front spoiler lip trim, it now fits nearly perfect. Judge for yourself: (in this lighting you can see the slight color mismatch.)

New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190710_174830-3024x2268.jpg

Previous update: Parts arrived. Full review will have to wait until I return from week long work trip and have opportunity to install.

Meanwhile, pics and first impressions.

Included: Uppers, painted. Lowers, black. Typical aftermarket parts questionable double sided tape (I'll use real 3M tape, procured separately). Some self tapping screws.

3M double sided tape 3M double sided tape

Uppers: Paint has no imperfections. Surface perfectly smooth. There are raised ledges on the back for double sided tape, like the oem part, not empty hollow shells like other ebay vendors are trying to sell.

Shape of uppers is merely ok. Held up to car I can see gaps. But I feel like I'll be able to get a decent fit once foam tape is applied and I add some rubber trim (will use the front spoiler trim).

spoiler trim spoiler trim

Paint match (Silverstone) is not perfect, but its about as good as the eBay rear spoiler I just bought. Most are happy with paint match of eBay spoilers. Its near impossible to get a perfect paint match with plastic vs metal with colors like Silverstone. I'm satisfied with the match, especially since parts are mounted so low, and harder to see.

Lowers: They are considerably rougher than uppers. The outer surface is smooth, but the inner surface is a bit rough. There is even a spot that is white styrene looking porous plastic on the edge of one of the raised notched tabs that help secure the upper to lower. Upon further inspection, it does not look like it will secure the upper properly at this spot. I have contacted the vendor to see what they say.

The other raised notched tabs, the molding process wasn't perfect here, and these parts are rough around the edges.

Overall the lowers seem sufficiently sturdy, and all the cosmetic defects are only on areas unseen. That is except for the black outer surface. Its not a uniform black color. Its kinda hazy and wavy (the color is wavy, surface is very smooth). From a few feet away they look fine. I could paint them (scuff pad, spray some adhesion promoter, then flat or semi gloss black), or plastidip, but I think I'll try them as is at first, since they are down so low out of sight.

Overall I'm pleased. Been unable to find used strakes that include lowers, and when they do pop up (even without lowers) they're expensive (compared to new) and snapped up quickly. Add to that trying find my color...

Pics:

New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172507.jpg
New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172525.jpg
New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172535.jpg
New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172541.jpg
New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172611.jpg
New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172630.jpg
New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172638.jpg

This photo shows the wavy appearance of black color. Note surface is perfectly smooth. Its just the color that isn't consistent.
New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172646.jpg

This photo shows the initial gaps (was able to correct most of it with heatgun). The slight color mismatch is not so noticeable in this lighting
New source for replica side strakes - Review-20190621_172743.jpg

More detailed review of install and finished effect to come later...

Original post:
Review will be posted when parts arrive.

Meanwhile, some background...It used to be possible to buy replica side strakes. But those sources all dried up, and recently the only offerings were on eBay, for ill fitting hollow back shells with no provision for mounting (you'd have to wad up a bunch of double sided tape or something).

I once bought a set from a vendor called Ikon Motorsports, as their ad photos were of real or real replica parts (the back side showed the ledge for a strip of mounting tape, etc, unlike the hollowed out shells other ads showed). What I got were the same hollow back shells other vendors were selling. Total crap. I returned them, and told them it was dishonest to post photos that don't come close to representing the parts they were selling.

Those hollow back pretend strakes aren't even worthy of the term replica (and replica already has a derogatory tone), so I'm deliberately avoiding referring to them as such. When I mention replica strakes, I mean they replicate the design, including the ledge on he back side for a strip of mounting tape, etc.

But then yesterday I noticed a new vendor selling replica side strakes. These also had photos of real or replica parts. Upper and lower pieces. The ad even said it was 4 pieces (upper and lower, both sides). I was skeptical, but contacted vendor with several detailed questions.

Their responses indicated they were not he same hollow back junk the other vendors are selling. Rather replica uppers and replica lowers. The price even includes paint (you give them your stock paint code). Less than half the cost of the oem strakes (but no mounting hardware included).

I ordered a set. I will replace this post with a review once they arrive. Hopefully they are not the same hollow stuff, just painted.

ebay link
The following 3 users liked this post by Car Analogy:
keeptrying56 (11-27-2021), Redludesh (06-19-2019), WilloW (12-30-2020)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write up. Looking forward to your findings. Do they make an AP1 front lip?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't seem to get the link to work. Subscirbed for results.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

seems pricey for knock off strakes when painted oem ones are less than 400 new. that being said, i would def consider this a better option in a few years when that is no longer the case so maybe not a bad long term option
Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by cgarrett23
Nice write up. Looking forward to your findings. Do they make an AP1 front lip?
Yes, @Deckoz is running one and it looks factory.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by outeiroj
seems pricey for knock off strakes when painted oem ones are less than 400 new. that being said, i would def consider this a better option in a few years when that is no longer the case so maybe not a bad long term option
New ones are discontinued. But still avail in some colors. But painted replicas at less than half the cost of new, in any factory color ever made, seems like a good price if it turns out they are decent.

They are roughly twice the cost of the oem replica rear spoilers that are well liked, and generally considered an incredible deal. Considering strakes are much more complex pieces, cost seems reasonable.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:01 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

These come painted in factory colors from what I can see.

-- Chuck
Old 06-13-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
These come painted in factory colors from what I can see.

-- Chuck
my apologies, did not see that they came painted
Old 06-13-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interested as well, since Suzuka OEM is discontinued and out of stock.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for being the guinea pig! Would love to know the results.

Quick Reply: New source for replica side strakes - Review