S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Is it not common to have both hard and soft top installed?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it not common to have both hard and soft top installed?

I recently purchased a S2000 with an OEM hardtop installed and soft top gutted. With the year round nice weather I have living in California, I would like to have the option of taking off my hardtop off and running the soft top. With the little amount of time since Ive joined this forum, It appears this is not very common? I would like to gather a bit more information before buying a soft top for my car as well.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 AM

i would say its pretty common to have both installed

it is likely the previous owner removed it to save weight or the softtop was cut or worn out so he/she just get a hardtop to replace the soft
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM

I believe I've read that not all hardware will work if you want to have both tops installed at once. Is this true?

Whats the difference between the OEM hardware kit and say IZZY's?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Oem rear hardware will only work with the softtop in place. You can make it work without the softtop if a cr bracket or the soft top frame is sacrificed. The oem rearcatchers mounts to part of the soft top frame.

The izzy brakets is a one piece bolt on whereas oem is a 2 piece design for quick removal. Izzy rear brackets come in two variants 1. Race (without the soft top) 2. Street (with the soft top)
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 664 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by ApePee2
Oem rear hardware will only work with the softtop in place. You can make it work without the softtop if a cr bracket or the soft top frame is sacrificed. The oem rearcatchers mounts to part of the soft top frame.

The izzy brakets is a one piece bolt on whereas oem is a 2 piece design for quick removal. Izzy rear brackets come in two variants 1. Race (without the soft top) 2. Street (with the soft top)
You can still have the OEM rear hardware in place with no soft top. You will just only have 2 bolts holding it on instead of the 4 bolts it normally uses. Its not ideal but still works fine.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM

If I decide to go the OEM route, are the links below everything I need?

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/prod...&cat=92&page=1 (hardtop installation kit)
http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/prod...&cat=92&page=1 (defroster wire harness)
http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/prod...&cat=92&page=1 (side latches)
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM

Looks correct. I believe there's two different defroster harness as well: 00-05 & 06-09.

If you check back in the modification section, Forbidden is comming out with a oem style rear catcher.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

It is extremely common to have both. It sucks they gutted the top as its not fun to put back in.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ApePee2
Looks correct. I believe there's two different defroster harness as well: 00-05 & 06-09.

If you check back in the modification section, Forbidden is comming out with a oem style rear catcher.
Do you have a link to that thread?

Thanks everyone for your response. You all have been very helpful
Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 PM

I just found these hardtop brackets from Moddiction. Will these work? http://shop.moddiction.com/Moddictio...ackets-067.htm

If so, all I will need is the Moddiction hardtop brackets and the rear defroster cable from hardtopguy right? Or is the rear defroster cable from hardtopguy only compatible with OEM hardware?

Quick Reply: Is it not common to have both hard and soft top installed?