S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

NRG Hood Damper - Not Vertical?

Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Not trying to be too off topic here, I know there are numerous threads about hood dampers, and I've recently been in the market for one -

I know the benefits of having the hood more vertical aside from just aesthetics as it allows a bit more room to work in the engine bay, my only concern would be closing the long aluminum hood of our cars, would that flex cause any issue? I would see it as minimal but not sure if others could chime in.

I'm been debating between the new SokiTech (I know it's not SOS or etc) and potentially the NRGs as well. I rarely open my hood as it is but hopefully others can chime in before I make my purchase.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

A vertical hood is overrated IMO.

I purchased the SOS dampers because of the added clearance (i work on my car a lot) and because they were the nicest dampers on the market. But after 6 months of owning them, i decided to sell them because i didn't like how i couldn't reach the hood to close it (had to close it by walking to the side of the car) and i didn't like how it shot my hood open (mugen hood so i didn't want any damage).
Old 03-30-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

^ oh yeah, good point, not a very tall guy (lol!).
Thanks for the input, Chris!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't these aftermarket dampers get in the way compared to the stock hood prop? When the stock one is used to mount the hood vertically I think it gains more room to work.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

^^^ It all depends on where you are working, near the firewall would not be fun.

The NRG dampers are available in half pressure for CF or stock hoods, they open the hood with less speed than most other brands. Walking to the side of the car to close the hood would be necessary with most dampers unfortunately.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak
^^^ It all depends on where you are working, near the firewall would not be fun.
I have done a valve adjustment recently with oem vertical prop position and it didn't cause issue. It also has the benefit of leaving the intake side of the engine with no restriction whatsoever.
The aftermarket dampers seem to have a long span on each side of the engine bay which isn't ideal either. I guess each type has it's own benefit.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I had Nrg ones, and they started to rust. But they also did not go up all the way. I am 5 10" and when standing up; the hood opened up to my eye line.
I just replaced it with those cheap ebay ones for like $65.00. all the same thing in the end.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by c_me_go
Yes ,, can't wait to install it
any pics of it installed yet?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nah, going to be awhile.. car is at the shop
Old 03-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone
I'm going through this issue just now myself.

I had bought the NRG CF 1/2psi hood dampers 10yrs ago when they first came out and my hood was vertical as honda designed it (by removing the hood rod and placing in secondary location). They finally started giving out so I bought new ones with same part number but they open to the lower position?? I'm 6'1" and it does make a difference working around the rear engine bay.

notes on the difference. My original ones were 28" long, new ones are 25". The "carbon covered" tube is 1.5" shorter, extend the rod you have a 3" difference.

still figuring out if NRG had a design change or what not.

Quick Reply: NRG Hood Damper - Not Vertical?