S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

OEM Front Lip...Color doesn't match?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Front Lip...Color doesn't match?

Left the dealer happy as a pig in shit today as I had them install an OEM Front Lip on my 2005 Silverstone...It's been a dark rainy day today...Noticed when parked outside that the colors are off...This possible with OEM stuff? Is it from the fading that the cars original paint has been through over the last 6 years? Will the front lip quickly begin to fade and match? Anyone with previous experience such as this with Silverstone front lip?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 03:44 PM

It's the sun fading your cars paint.
It will fade some but I doubt it'll fade enough to be a complete match.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyC
It's the sun fading your cars paint.
It will fade some but I doubt it'll fade enough to be a complete match.

Good luck

So I guess I should decide against the Mugan Replica Hardtop I was going to order...As the Silverstone there would probably look ridiculous against the faded paint of my car...That sucks...
Old 09-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My OEM hardtop was a darker shade of silver than my Sebring. Maybe it's silverstone? Still looks good though so I kept it.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 3,486 Likes on 2,508 Posts

there are up to 10 different paint formulations for Silverstone (and I contend sebring silver as well) used at the factory, most of the difference lies in the metal flake that was used over the years. Fading has something to do with the issue too, but different paint shades are the primary issue IMO. I had a BB hardtop painted sebring silver for my car, we tried three different times to get it to match the rest of the car, the shade of paint was pretty good but the metal flake never matched the original paint no matter what we tried. I'm still good with it, but I know paint matching silver paints on this car is tough, and even Honda parts might not match the paint used at the factory at the time your car was built. Paint formulations also changed between the two factories where the S2000 was built over the years.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Oh man. I just ordered a lip in Chicane/Synchro Silver for my 2008. I hope it matches pretty well. There was a dealer decal on the rear of the car that was removed, and the paint seems a shade darker underneath although you can't notice it unless you're looking very closely.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i got my car first thing i bought was oem front lip, and oem side strakes, i have a rio yellow. I was very disappointed when i put it on and the colors were so off, i bought my car with 50k miles and it's an 05. I plan on respraying the car one day, so i just installed them and left them on, i have gotten used to it, but it still bothers me a bit. best advice i can give is take it to a body shop and get it color matched
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

many body shops can match the color that you have atm.
but its pricey. if you really dont like it, you should ask around but its going to be expensive
Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 PM

My lip was a tad darker but I rattle canned mine so I really wasn't expecting perfection. Lol

I'm happy with it for the time being.
I would like to get the front of my re sprayed. Get rid of all those chips n dings.

One of these days I will pull the trigger and just do it.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
there are up to 10 different paint formulations for Silverstone (and I contend sebring silver as well) used at the factory, most of the difference lies in the metal flake that was used over the years. Fading has something to do with the issue too, but different paint shades are the primary issue IMO. I had a BB hardtop painted sebring silver for my car, we tried three different times to get it to match the rest of the car, the shade of paint was pretty good but the metal flake never matched the original paint no matter what we tried. I'm still good with it, but I know paint matching silver paints on this car is tough, and even Honda parts might not match the paint used at the factory at the time your car was built. Paint formulations also changed between the two factories where the S2000 was built over the years.

This is very true.
I wasn't sure if ssm had the same paint changes suzukas did. Suzukas are a bitch to match.

Quick Reply: OEM Front Lip...Color doesn't match?