S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Oil Catch Can and Oil Consumption/Vendors

Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can and Oil Consumption/Vendors

I have a 2001 AP1 with about 82,000 miles. I don't think my oil consumption is extraordinary, however, I'm wondering if installing an oil catch-can will reduce oil consumption.

Who are the recommended oil catch can vendors for the AP1?

If I get a set up, I'm looking for an easy install.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

It's not going to reduce oil consumption for highway driving. That's not it's purpose. You do not need one.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:43 PM

Thanks, Feezy. I'm always eager to learn. When are oil catch cans useful?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Feezy
It's not going to reduce oil consumption for highway driving. That's not it's purpose. You do not need one.

I would like to add that it won't reduce consumption like Feezy said, but it will keep oil from being burned through the pcv or front breather depending on how it is hooked up.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:12 PM

I would like to add that it won't reduce consumption like Feezy said, but it will keep oil from being burned through the pcv or front breather depending on how it is hooked up.
This is all good information, yet my OCD and ADD brain keep asking questions.

Is there a benefit or negative issue with these results?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A catch cans main purpose is to catch the oil that would of been sprayed into the intake manifold through the pcv valve at high pressures. (like forced induction, or high rpm in NA) So it's definitely not going to hurt anything by installing one. If you are boosted or NA and do a lot of track time or spirited driving its a cheap thing to do to keep oil out of your intake mani which is never cool. That being said, as NA will it really help much??? probably not but it's not gonna hurt anything either. So benefit it would at minimum keep any oily air from releasing back into your pcv valve... negatives... i cant think of any.

As for hook ups, there are several ways to do it. But the easiest wasy is to use your front vent on the valve cover or the pcv valve... or some people use both. I run a mini filter on the front one, and the PCV valve goes to my catch can, which also has a filter on it. I have the kings performance one.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saikou Michi makes a good quality dual setup with a mount for clean installation. It's hardly noticeable under the hood.

http://www.saikoumichi.com/Stage0_S2000.htm
Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Thanks, Feezy. I'm always eager to learn. When are oil catch cans useful?
They are useful for times when you have your car set up with very sticky rubber in high grip cornering situations. Sometimes you can pull enough G's to cause the oil in the valve cover to pool over by the PCV pick up. That oil then gets pulled into the PCV and ingested into your engine resulting in a gigantic puff of bluish black smoke out of the exhaust.

This is not a modification that you need on a relatively tame S2000. Your car is completely fine without it and you will not notice any tangible benefit right now. One day you might need one if you experience the above situation a few times, but until then I'd save your money.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Site Moderator

Received 350 Likes on 304 Posts

I just installed the Saikou Michi and while it is nice it isn't going to do anything earth shattering. From what I have read an AP2 valve cover with the added baffles would be a much better upgrade for an AP1 and then a catch can if you are tracking the car alot. I got a used Saikou Michi for super cheap otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes checking your PCV valve to make sure that it doesn't stick can go a long way. Or just buy a new one when in doubt. They are 8$.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can and Oil Consumption/Vendors