S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

plm header review

Old 05-20-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default plm header review

i bought a plm header a couple weeks ago, and put it on also swapped my intake for aem v2 cold air. i have the giles preloaded emanage tune as well so i can adjust my air fuels and timing. my vtec is at 4500 and now when i hit vtec you really cant even hear it and i dont know if it actually added any power or not. i ended up swapping it out with my oem and i know the oem header has alot more vtec sound to it. the plm header did make the sound deeper but idk if i got any gains with it, i will be getting it dynoed in a month or so

REVIEW part
i got the header in the mail, greatly packaged. it came with a new headgasket, the spacer and the other donut piece for the test pipe. the weld where great on the header. i was very impressed with them condidering i have seen other ebay headers for other cars.

the plm header is alot lighter, i didnt get to put them on the scale for comparison but i would say a good 8 lbs lighter. the header has great fitment, no rubbing and not even close to rubbing anything. one thing i didnt like was how the 2nd bunge for a wideband was pointing directly to the right side of the car and would rub if one was installled(mines already in the test pipe). install was overall very easy, make sure you have the spacer for the test pipe piece as it will leak if you do not. would i recommend it, yes with a good tune you will see gains. i did notice a little bit of midrange with the header installed vs oem header. i did even swap back to the oem to make sure. at first i thought i lost power with the plm but i was wrong.

i would def recommend this header to anyone, make sure you wipe the header down after install or it will not burn deep purple. it will burn an array of colors, like ti dye lol. it looks baller anyway
Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound is not an indicator of HP or any other gains. You need to dyno. Not sure how good the Giles EMU preload tune is.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 AM

the tune made a good difference when i had my oem header on the car. i saw a huge difference when i installed that. i do need to dyno and i think that is the next thing im going to do and see how that works. thanks guys, its my only other choice, what kind of gains are normal on a plm header?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by hypforlife32,May 20 2010, 07:29 AM
the tune made a good difference when i had my oem header on the car. i saw a huge difference when i installed that. i do need to dyno and i think that is the next thing im going to do and see how that works. thanks guys, its my only other choice, what kind of gains are normal on a plm header?
could you feel the vtec crossover more before? 4500 rpms seems low for vtec it should be a nice smooth change over
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM

A smoother transition to VTEC is a good thing. I'm sorry you miss your "vtec pop."
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

Not really much of a review... did you get the spacer with your header?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:13 AM

what spacer are you talking about? are you talking abotu the one by the test pipe?

with oem header at 4500 i can still feel a vtec pop.

with plm, no vtec pop. lol its a smoother powerband.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which is.... a good thing....
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 AM

You need to dyno definitely. More than likely you're tune is just working better with the OEM header. If you did any research at all before you bought the header you would have seen the dynos that show the plm gives good gains. How hard "vtec pops" is not an indication of power being made. If you're looking for something to work well with a tune designed for the OEM header you should look into the fast forward header. Horrible review BTW
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 AM

Yeah, thanks. It wasn't really a review at all. More of a crappy comparison.

Quick Reply: plm header review