S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
View Poll Results: Should I stick with red valve cover or go black?
Re-do the red
84.62%
Black
15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should I re-powder coat my valve cover red, or change to black?

Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Poll: Should I re-powder coat my valve cover red, or change to black?

The paint on my valve cover is coming off. I'm about to pull the cover to check my exhaust valves, and can't decide if I should stick to the OEM red or change to wrinkle black. I don't plan of selling my car, but you never know. Would black hurt my resale?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think red, especially for resale.

just like Ferrari's Rossa Corsa paint is referred to as "resale red"
Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

I'd go with red. Black may or may not hurt resale...but it certainly won't HELP resale.

What is the cost of powder coating compared to the cost of buying a new cover?

Or...wrinkle paint it black. That's cheap. If you dislike...then you've spent almost nothing. Remove the old stuff with aircraft remover (or similar). Idk how I feel about bead blasting a valve cover.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
I'd go with red. Black may or may not hurt resale...but it certainly won't HELP resale.

What is the cost of powder coating compared to the cost of buying a new cover?

Or...wrinkle paint it black. That's cheap. If you dislike...then you've spent almost nothing. Remove the old stuff with aircraft remover (or similar). Idk how I feel about bead blasting a valve cover.
Cost is $50 to powder coat. A new cover is around $175.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Forget resale.

Unless your car is in the top 5% of excellent condition S2000s, make it "your car" and do something different.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Red looks better.

And just buy a new valve cover and gaskets from Honda so you can immediately put everything back together once you're done with the valves. No down time while you're prepping the cover for paint, painting it, and waiting for the paint to dry/cure. You'll have your old as a spare to repaint and sell if you choose.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by MemphiS2k
Cost is $50 to powder coat. A new cover is around $175.

For a $125 difference, I'd buy the new cover and sell the old one to make up some more of the difference. I doubt the powder coat will be the same colour/texture as stock (if that's what you're going for).

And...again...I'm guessing they're planning on prepping by media blasting. sand blasting a valve cover....ehhhhhh nah.

I agree that resale value shouldn't be your motivation. It's your car.

IMO, red looks better....and if we ARE taking resale into account, if I looked at 2 similar S2000's, I'd buy the one with thr red cover.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

What color is your car? What else is done to the engine and engine bay? Would black be matching other things in the engine bay? Is the OEM still nice or looking scratched up and discolored?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
What color is your car? What else is done to the engine and engine bay? Would black be matching other things in the engine bay? Is the OEM still nice or looking scratched up and discolored?
Car is black. Just a FIPK for now. I will be going boost if I keep it. The OEM is flaking pretty bad. Just hit 106k miles. That's why it's going to powder regardless.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

CAUTION! More than one motor has been totaled after left over blast material hidden in the recesses of the cover made their way into the motor.

I would strongly caution any attempt to refresh a cover take this into serious consideration.

Use chemical stripper on the cover, then conventional paint. Make sure nothing gets inside cover.

Quick Reply: Poll: Should I re-powder coat my valve cover red, or change to black?