S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Possible to change the 6th gear

Old 04-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 70mph in my04, im at 4k.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

my02 at 80 is 4.5k
Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Hmmm
Maybe I'm thinking wrong then
Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
RPM's don't really matter in MPG....

Your friends corvette also isn't getting the mpg you're getting....
Sorry but both of those statements are
You can go get a 2009 Toyota Corolla with a 4 cylinder that will cruse down the highway at 70mph and get 34 mpg at 2450 rpm's.
If you think rpm's don't affect gas mileage go put 4.77's in your car and take a long drive and see what your gas mileage is.

I would love to see a tall 6th gear so my '06 could cruse at 75 mph at 2600/2900 rpm's instead of 4000 rpm's as it does now.
Keep the bottom 5 gears for the track and 6th gear to get you there and back with more comfort.

If you get a Corvette that was built after 2000 you will pull 30+ mpg just cruising down the highway at 70 mph.

You would also put a lot less wear on the engine with a taller 6th gear to the tune of 78,000 less revolutions every hour in high gear with a gear that would lower the rpm's to 2700rpm's @ 75mph.

ROD
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
Originally Posted by whiteflash' timestamp='1302112331' post='20436610

Your friends corvette also isn't getting the mpg you're getting....
You can go get a 2009 Toyota Corolla with a 4 cylinder that will cruse down the highway at 70mph and get 34 mpg at 2450 rpm's.
If you think rpm's don't affect gas mileage go put 4.77's in your car and take a long drive and see what your gas mileage is.
ROD
Sorry but you're quite wrong, MPG isn't inherently correlated to RPM's. And there's a reason why I said 'don't really matter'. If you hold cruise control at 7k, and cruise control at 4k you're not going to see a difference. Where you're going to see a difference is in the Throttle plate / throttle position / AFR position. So no, RPM's don't really affect MPG. Although the amount of throttle you use to get to a higher RPM, and the amount of throttle you would need to accelerate past that, is what's going to diminish your mpg.

You're better off adding airflow, tuning at a leaner afr (less fuel), and increasing timing to achieve more power @ less fuel = more mpg.

You're right about wear and tear, but that's not what this thread is about. Its about the misconception that RPM's are more important that throttle plate/position, and how much fuel is being dumped in how fast; which is independent from RPM's. According to my Hondata logs, I input less fuel at a constant 8000 rpms than I do at 4000 rpms. Maybe I suck at correlating things, but if ceteris paribus (no other variables changes) I should get a better MPG at a higher RPM. Of course that's not counting the fuel wasted to get up to 8,000rpms; or if I want to change speeds.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Be my guest go cruse at 8000 rpm's you will suck fuel so fast that you won't get 200 miles on a tank. Out in the real world(on the street or race track)if you want to stretch your mileage you lower the rpm's, out on the race track you suck right up to the rear end of the car in front of you so he runs out of fuel(he pulls you) and you don't use as much fuel or you lower your rpm's if you have a good size lead to save fuel.

I have a bike that has a small gas tank so when I go to reserve I lower the rpm's(and speed) and I can change my mileage so I get 49 mpg instead of the 38/40 and hopefully make it to the next gas station.

That(lower rpm) is why the auto manufacturers had the stick cars skip gears to meet "Federal gas mileage requirements", don't you think if high rpm's got better mileage they would have made the cars do that? But not one auto manufacturer has done that, are they that stupid if it(lower rpm's) didn't save gas then why make the car skip gears and spend all that money to make the transmission skip gears?

Like I said I like the first 5 gears in my "S" I just wish that 6th gear was higher.

ROD
Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Your friends corvette also isn't getting the mpg you're getting.

Buying an exhaust that doesn't drone; helps with drone.
Wrong

Originally Posted by s2krazyyy
You can do an Ap2 transmission swap, it makes the car accelerate better in 1-4th gear and lowers your 6th gear. This is the easiest solution I can think of anything else I think would cost alot.
some what wrong, the ap1s have a higher 5th and 6th gear. 1-4 are lower.

Originally Posted by gernby
A corvette has twice as many cylinders too, so the combustions per minute is twice as high as a 4 cylinder. However, they do get better MPG than an S2000 due to improved aerodynamcs.

If you get a numerically lower final drive (big bucks) or an AP2 transmission, you'll definitely get better highway MPG. However, depending on the exhaust you have, drone could be better or worse. Every exhaust drones, but the RPM that they drone at varies from one to another.
correct. A customer of mine gets 33mpg at 80 mph in his c5, MUCH better aerodynamics on the vettes

Originally Posted by Savedsol
If this is about mpg's then this thread is worthless. The money spent on actual replacement gear plus installation would be way more than you'd ever spend on gas by lowering 6th gear rpms 500, 1000, 1500 rpms.

If this is about lowering 6th gear rpms to make highway driving more tolerable your logic is sound.

And to Whiteflash, Vettes can easily do 30mpg on the highway all while loping around at ridiculously low rpms for the speed.
yes but reducing cruising by 500 rpm over time will eventually add up

Originally Posted by rrounds

I would love to see a tall 6th gear so my '06 could cruse at 75 mph at 2600/2900 rpm's instead of 4000 rpm's as it does now.
Keep the bottom 5 gears for the track and 6th gear to get you there and back with more comfort.

If you get a Corvette that was built after 2000 you will pull 30+ mpg just cruising down the highway at 70 mph.

You would also put a lot less wear on the engine with a taller 6th gear to the tune of 78,000 less revolutions every hour in high gear with a gear that would lower the rpm's to 2700rpm's @ 75mph.

ROD
QFT!!!!

Sorry but you're quite wrong, MPG isn't inherently correlated to RPM's. And there's a reason why I said 'don't really matter'. If you hold cruise control at 7k, and cruise control at 4k you're not going to see a difference. Where you're going to see a difference is in the Throttle plate / throttle position / AFR position. So no, RPM's don't really affect MPG. Although the amount of throttle you use to get to a higher RPM, and the amount of throttle you would need to accelerate past that, is what's going to diminish your mpg.

You're better off adding airflow, tuning at a leaner afr (less fuel), and increasing timing to achieve more power @ less fuel = more mpg.

You're right about wear and tear, but that's not what this thread is about. Its about the misconception that RPM's are more important that throttle plate/position, and how much fuel is being dumped in how fast; which is independent from RPM's. According to my Hondata logs, I input less fuel at a constant 8000 rpms than I do at 4000 rpms. Maybe I suck at correlating things, but if ceteris paribus (no other variables changes) I should get a better MPG at a higher RPM. Of course that's not counting the fuel wasted to get up to 8,000rpms; or if I want to change speeds.
You should probibly reread what ever it is that you get your information from once more and then burn it because it is totally wrong. Fuel consumption is based "mostly" off of the The engines Load value which is calculated by the PCM based on RPM, TP, MAF, BARO. there are a few others as well but those are the main controls. Your statement about AFRss changing based on rpm is also somewhat flawed. the afr measured by the 02 sensors is an input to the computer, the computer is trying to maintian a ratio of about 13:1 a/f ratio. (this is due to the ethanol content in the gasoline now, this used to be 14.7 when we had pure gasoline) so that changes but its not an output of the computer. Also if your cruising your Throttle position will also not be much different. Its really hard not to accelerate at WOT.

If you really want to test this theory drive your car around and never go into 5th/6th gear. Then tell us how much worse your fuel milage is. Since you will be encountering many different driving modes in 4th gear whether or not your cruising wont be a factor. The last person who argued this point never tried this!!!

Also, if you werent already familiar with the tuning on our cars they are already tuned as you have suggested, Honda already thought of that.

To the OP, i had already brought this up at the beginning of the year, after a few pages of arguing points of fuel economy. a solution was found but i have yet to tackle the project yet. The solution is an AP2 trans with an AP1 output shaft and 6th gear. Basically a hybrid trans. this by way of math would reduce rpms by a few hundred. if you then Install taller rearend gears(will make your car accelerate slower) you can get the RPM drop you desire.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/838...#entry20043415 ENJOY!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Also vettes have WAY more power and tq. They can get away with low gearing. I think they have 3.55?

I could be wrong but I would think RPM matters, because you are squirting more fuel in the cylinders
Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Good read!
Thanks
So do you plan on doing this xzibit?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW, when I installed 4.77 gears in my '02, my long distance interstate cruising MPG dropped from a consistent 29 MPG to a constistent 26 MPG.

Quick Reply: Possible to change the 6th gear