S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Is it possible to have stock-like ride comfort

Old 02-06-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Feb 5 2008, 10:49 PM
There is a balance, fast shifting of the body in transitions can cause loss of control in the extreme, but having no body roll can cause early grip give away from the tires as some weight shift helps in adding force and traction. I agree with thicker sway bars as a good simple option for body control and more compliancy over the bumps generally.

More compression damping is also used to slow down the upstroke of the wheel movement of a bump or sudden body movements for better control in high g cornering, but once the compression valving has been relieved determined by your adjustment, the body settles to where it will rest determined by the spring rate.

Rebound has a secondary effect on slowing the body roll down as well by slowing down the oposit side of the car as the body extends upward (or wheels down) from leaning into a turn, but having less effect then the compression side of the car, bump control is its primary function.

But unfortunetly for me - or the guys that know how to tune suspension, most realistic affordable after market coilovers have the rebound and compression damping incorporated into one adjustment knob, so to dial in your proper compression you want, you likely will be compromising the amount of rebound damping you will end up with, or vice versa. The balance in valving between the two is determined by the company that put the R&D into the Coilover. I'm sure some are better then others and spring rate plays a big roll in this tuning as well. I was lucky I landed a great combined valving coilover with what I feel is the best spring rate for track and street. Not everyone gets lucky the first time i'm sure, or know how to tell the diff for that matter, they just want to drop the car for looks and could care less about the balance between the damping and spring rate or even how to adjust them for the best performance.

There is a few things involved in tuning a suspension & usually comfort is at the cost of performance, just fyi for you. Depends on your goals.

Have you explored what the damping settings do for your ride in cornering and bump handling? If your in the middle setting you may have some room to turn it up to slow down the body roll you are experiencing, however the body lean will rest the same, it will remove some of the sensation and allow for better control. If you go to much, depending on how those koni's are valved, turning it up may be at the expense of poor bump control and may cause wheel "skipping" which can be scary. Play with your balance to achieve your best setting for your choice in coilover.
I knew suspension components are complicated and hard to understand but wow...
I really appreciate your thorough explanation.
I think I understand a lil' better now

I'll try to play with the settings before making a decision.
Thanks.

Dan
Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Feb 6 2008, 06:55 AM
I knew suspension components are complicated and hard to understand but wow...
I really appreciate your thorough explanation.
I think I understand a lil' better now

I'll try to play with the settings before making a decision.
Thanks.

Dan
Your welcome Dan, hope it adds to your fun experience in tuning your car.