S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Removing exhaust

Old 06-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing exhaust

I'm trying to remove my exhaust and need some help. I've got the bolts off the cat, but I cannont get anything else off. I tried putting a screw driver between the hangers I believe theyre called (the ruber things) to try and widen them a little to pull the exhaust out. Nothings moving. Anyone have any tips or tricks or any advice? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 PM

Spray some WD-40 or lithium grease on the hangers. If that doesn't work, bust out the heat gun.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Banned

no heat gun... I'll try some great and wd-40 I didn't think this would be so hard. Is there one I should start with over the other to make it a little easier?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by sbrodacz,Jun 30 2008, 04:20 PM
I'm trying to remove my exhaust and need some help. I've got the bolts off the cat, but I cannont get anything else off. I tried putting a screw driver between the hangers I believe theyre called (the ruber things) to try and widen them a little to pull the exhaust out. Nothings moving. Anyone have any tips or tricks or any advice? Thanks!
If you have a fairly old car, the rubber exhaust hangers (those rubber things) may have seized already. Give a liberal spraying of liquid wrench or dish washing liquid mixed with water. WD-40 is ok I think but I've heard that it may dry up the rubber leading them to crack. Also, if you have a floor jack, try relieving the pressure off the hangers by jacking the muffler up. A scissor jack could also suffice if you don't have floor jacks. The best place to attack the hangers for the mufflers is through the wheel well. If you don't have the rear wheels off, I suggest removing them and try from there. Also, don't detach the pipe from the cat just yet, this should be the last step. Here's the how-to I followed when I did mine recently

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173247

It's really not that hard and I've done it a couple of times now that I've gotten it down to about 2 hours. Good luck and just ask if you need anymore assistance.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:39 PM

wen i removed countless exhausts, i just got a spray water bottle (like window cleaner bottle) and put water and fairy liquid in it... spray on and tug... if ya can put thumb on the metal rod and put fingers at back of the rubber and pull off...

if ya replacing hangers...jst cut lool
Old 06-30-2008, 05:59 PM

Fairy liquid?

Did you then sprinkle your new exhaust with pixie dust so your car would really fly? (Think happy thawts!)
Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

I gave up for tonight it got too dark. I did get one door panel off and kinda got the other one on. It's not lining up right.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM

PB Blaster.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Banned

If I can't get it off tomorrow I'll just take to a muffler shop. I'm sure it won't take them long at all.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Its really not rocket science. either wedge a screwdriver in there, or use a pair of channel locks/pliers and work it off. I have done it more than once on my car this way. Using some sort of liquid does help and just be patient.

Quick Reply: Removing exhaust