S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Reviews based on my last track day

Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Reviews based on my last track day

I did a track day at Pocono north course yesterday with Bertil Roos race school.
http://www.racenow.com/Programs/pdc.html
I did the novice program which is the instructor led program. You get 3 hours on track which includes:
- class session
- laps in the school car with instructor to get the layout of the track, stops at each turn to discuss brake/entry/apex/exit
- laps in your in car with instruction
- follow behind laps with instructor in the lead
- solo lapping
Once you graduate from their novice program, you are signed off for their "solo" program where you are started with a basic drivers meeting and you are set loose on track for 1 hr lap sessions.

My car is a 2005 with pretty basic setup and just under 80k. Here are some reviews from the track:

K&N intake - no heat soak on track since you don't stop moving, sucked in air like an intake should

Ingalls engine damper & Exedium diff collars - Can't really tell if these do anything because I don't have track time without them. See below for my review of 3rd gear.

eibach anti-roll bars (f: full stiff, r: least stiff), stock springs/shocks, star spec 225/265 staggered on 949 9"/10" wheels - The car handled neutrally at the limits with slight oversteer or drift that was easily corrected. Turn in was pretty good even with >20k on the front tires. Roll was definitely reduced from the last HPDE track day (Monticello) with sock ARB.

Hawk HP+ brake pads, racing brake rotors, ATE brake fluid, RB ss lines - fluid was fresh, pads, rotors and lines were installed for the previous track day. I was advised by the R&C forum to swap for proper track pads. I chose to let these go because there was at least 50% pad left and track pads are pricey. I was warned they may fade suddenly around 20-30 min into the session. Since I knew this going in, I knew I could pit if needed to cool down the brakes. They were right, 30 min is the max on these pads. There were a couple pits built into the training in each session, so I only hit that limit once at the end of the day. The pads were fully used up by the end of the day, so don't expect a lot of life from the HP+ if you include track time. Street driving, they'll probably last forever. These pads are like all-season tires, OK at both but not great at either.

skunk2 exhaust + HJC helmet - you're probably wondering why I lumped these together. First, the helmet fit well, pads are removable for washing, and the shield was swapped for a tinted version - all good. The skunk2 exhaust is absolutely musical when you're ripping on the track and sound bouncing off the barriers, but it is loud. The guys waiting in the pits for their session were complementing on the sound after my laps. However, put the two together and the resonance in the helmet and the ringing in my ears was unbearable. I had to wad up some napkins to stuff in my ears.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

3rd gear - I love and hate you.
I was unable to downshift cleanly into 3rd gear from 5th the entire day. Heel toe, double clutch, with 4th, skip 4th, didn't matter. From 4th to third, smooth as butter. I installed the engine damper and diff collars to help keep the play out of shifting, but I still get this. Any ideas how to improve this (parts skill, whatever), please reply.

What I would change for next track day:

Need - these will aid in safety and improve MY performance (not car's capabilities):
seat - I needed to be snugged in better. I was sliding and bracing myself with my knee against the door.
brakes - a proper track pad is a must. I don't want to have catastrophic fade in the back of my mind when prepping for the next apex.
gas pedal extender - hunting for the gas pedal to heel/toe sucks. You wind up porpoising from uneven brake pedal pressure and turning late.

Want - improve the car's capability:
springs and shock - stiffer springs will complement the ARB's and also help with dive and squat, weight transfer in/out of corners, etc.
tune - need to pump up the mid-range, an extra 500 rpm wouldn't hurt either. The infield was a little too fast for 2nd gear, a little too slow for 3rd gear. More mid-range would have made 3rd gear perfect. The short infield straight wound out 3rd gear just ahead of the brake zone. Not enough space to shift into and out of 4th for the turn. 500 rpm more would have kept me off the rev limiter staying in 3rd.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbotech XP10/XP8 for track pads, CG lock to keep you locked into the seat better. Don't think you really need a gas pedal extender.... perhaps just more heel/toe practice for you.

An emanage would be a relatively cheap ~$500 way to tune down the VTEC and pick up some midrange. I'd leave the redline stock... no real point to hurting the car's reliability.