S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

ScienceofSpeed introduces *the best* hood dampers

Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ScienceofSpeed introduces *the best* hood dampers

Lofty claim? We don't make it often, but in this case, it's true.

ScienceofSpeed Stainless Steel Hood Damper Kit

I was recently lucky enough to pick up a 2006 S2000 with only 8000 miles. The car is in perfect like new shape. Hood dampers are one of the most beneficial parts to install on these cars - whether you're actually working on the car, or just showing off the engine - being able to open the hood with one hand and have the hood raise to full height is a must. They are the first part I install on any new S2000.

However, I have been very unhappy with the other hood dampers available on the market (from $150.00 China made dampers to $300.00 Japanese made dampers). They all have a poor design which secures the mount to the hood hinge with only one mounting point. Eventually, this bracket loosens due to this design.

With certain other brands, the stroke length isn't even properly designed which causes the damper to run out of stroke even before the hood is closed! When the bracket rotates, the side of the damper can make contact with the inside edge of the fenders. Look at many cars with these dampers, and you'll see scratches on the fenders or on the dampers themselves from wear.

It only seemed right to design a proper damper for this car to keep the paint and my sanity intact. We addressed these issues by designing a one piece CNC machined bracket that attaches to a factory fastening point on the hood and uses a machined-in pin that locates and locks into a factory hole.

We've also selected the highest quality components including all stainless steel gas springs used in the aerospace industry as well as stainless steel end fittings, ball studs, and hardened steel washers and fasteners.

After much R&D, we're excited to release the new ScienceofSpeed Stainless Steel Hood Dampers. Compared to existing dampers:

ScienceofSpeed Stainless Steel Hood Dampers:
  • Stainless Steel Dampers - Gas spring dampers from the aerospace industry are used. They have a complete stainless steel design and will not corrode like carbon steel rods used by all other companies.
  • One piece CNC machined mounting bracket - Unique bracket has two mounting locations, and will not rotate like all other brands. Bracket attaches to the factory hood mounting point, and uses a machined in pin to locate and lock into place on the hood.
  • Full 75 degrees of travel - Full hood travel is more than any other currently available damper. Makes the engine fully accessible for service or just showing it off. Hood is easy to open and close.
  • High quality stainless steel end fittings, ball studs, and hardened steel washers and fasteners - High quality fasteners will not strip or break like other brands.
  • Easy installation - Installs with only 2 tools in 10 minutes or less.

We believe the design and quality of our dampers are 2-3 times of what any other hood damper offers at any price yet the price of the set is only slightly more expensive than the cheapest (in price and quality) dampers sold.

For more information, and lots more photos, please see:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/ext...d/hood_dampers/

Cheers,
-- Chris

Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We're offering a one time introductory price below. Please see this link:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=675815
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to SOS yesterday to do some testing for their new hood damper on my cf hood. I would like to thank Chris from ScienceOfSpeed for testing and installing the new hood damper they have on my s2000. Look's great, fitment was perfect, and a far more superior design then any other damper I've seen personally. Great product!

Thanks again! I can now easily get in the engine bay with the hood completey open, show off the bay, and get rid of the ugly useless hood stand..
Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a question if i had a dry carbon J's racing vented hood on it will the dampers move quickly. i heard stories of dampers that would almost rip dry carbon hoods off in the wind lol. just wondering on the speed
Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Former Moderator

Chris, I notice both of the cars pictured have CF hoods. Are these stout enough for the OEM hoods? I've been wanting a set for quite a while but never bought because of the issues you talked about.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:12 PM

the LBP has a OEM hood if im not mistaken... I have a VIS OEM style hood pictured above on the GPW..
Old 02-27-2009, 04:05 PM

Those look really nice. Great product.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Sexy. Will keep this in mind!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:27 PM

looks fantastic
Old 02-27-2009, 04:29 PM

very nice