S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

skunk2 exhaust

Old 09-07-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default skunk2 exhaust

I just have a simple question. So i want to buy a catback exhaust system for my s2k and i was thinking about the skunk2 "Megapower Exhaust."

Is this a decent system?

Is it too ridiculously loud?

Is there any recommendations on whether or not i should purchase this or go for a different one

&nd

Does this system fit my current bumper.. due to it having a large exhaust tip i'm worried that it won't fit the current bumper on my '05 S2K.

If you can help me with this that would be great!

-Huey
Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Huey,

It is NOT the same as the Invidia system. Why people continue to perpetuate this is beyond me. Agreed they share, along with the T1r dual, appearance similarities, but beyond that....

The Skunk2 Racing Megapower catback exhaust system #413-05-2025 is a 70mm into dual 60mm system with exhaust canisters and tips slightly flared out unlike either the Invidia or T1r (check their specs on tubing size, etc. et all). It also, again unlike those others, has been dyno tested indicating modest gains of +3~4hp @ 1500-3500rpm, +3~5hp @ 3500-5500rpm, and +5~12hp @ 5500-9000rpm. These gains are equal with or without the silencers too which is unique.
Dyno report
Weight is 32 lbs versus the OEM catback of 58 pounds. This system is also the one designed to mate with the new Kraftwerks SC system (granted the Skunk2 team is heavily involved in that forced induction package as well).

Yes, it is VERY loud with the silencers removed which is the racing setup. With the silencers in it is louder than stock but nowhere near the silencers out mode.

I choose this system after a lot of research and listening. Runner up was the new Berks dual but cost and titanium tips (I don't like 'em) were the deal breakers.

I've had the Skunk2 now for a couple of months and even drove a 4k road trip including one 16 hour straight stint with the silencers out. Absolutely NO regrets and I continue to garner compliments from locals about how this puppy sounds. NOT ricey in the least; minimal droning in the +/-4k rpm range as well. BTW I'm a retiree and not a young buck if that further helps color my remarks.

Another owner's comments

--Bob
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob A (SD):
Anthony Ap1 (11-30-2022), Lachy31 (03-02-2020)
Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 AM

I just installed mine yesterday...the install was easy but I did it in my garage on jack stands by myself in about 2 hours. Having a lift and a helper to hold the exhaust would have made it *much* easier (probably less than an hour).

The exhaust is really loud with silencers out. You primarily hear it the lower RPM ranges (below ~4,000 rpm). Once you go full throttle though, you don't hear the exhaust any longer and you can hear your motor again.

With the silencers in, it is very quiet (I still have my cat). It's definitely louder than stock but quiet enough so you can talk on your cell phone and while driving. I had a cop directly behind me for about a mile yesterday with no issues.

For performance, Skunk2 has dyno'd this exhaust to make power with or without the silencers. This was a big selling point for me as I knew I would be driving the majority of the time with the silencers in (I had a Tanabe Racing Medallion before on a Civic Si and had too many run-ins with the fuzz). For a dyno on an AP2, check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNhEoEEe-bA

I'm going to dyno my car soon and will post the results...with and without the silencers.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love it.
here is a video on how it sounds, also have a berk TP in all the vids too!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Tjs-S20...some_170050.htm
Old 02-09-2019, 09:22 PM

I have the Skunk2 headers, test pipe and exhaust and I love the combo. It really gives it the deep throaty sound and is a pleasure to drive on the road. It makes me realize how much of a race car the s2000 really is!
The following users liked this post:
Lachy31 (03-02-2020)
Old 11-07-2022, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikvelv
I have the Skunk2 headers, test pipe and exhaust and I love the combo. It really gives it the deep throaty sound and is a pleasure to drive on the road. It makes me realize how much of a race car the s2000 really is!
what test pipe you went with
Old 11-11-2022, 06:27 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Atp is a tube of nearly straight metal. There isn't a lot that can distinguish one from another, flow wise.

What is critical is matching pipe diameter with catback diameter. Just do that.

Oh, and please consider a hfc instead. Even if you think environmental concerns aren't valid, don't give the huge eye of regulatory agencies more reasons to look in our direction.
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Ap1 (11-11-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikvelv
Which skunk2 header, the alpha? How does it fit?
Old 01-01-2023, 09:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

When we talk silencers, ae we talking about the baffles? or the actual canisters?
Old 01-02-2023, 05:49 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Some exhausts have "silencers" that are inserted into the mufflers so perhaps that's what they were writing about 15 years ago. I had an Abarth exhaust on a car decades which had these push-in silencers. I'm guessing they're more popular on motorcycles. Looked kinda like this.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: skunk2 exhaust