S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Soft top strap not sitting right? Any advice?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soft top strap not sitting right? Any advice?

When I close the soft top, this strap (on both sides of the car) get caught in the soft top.
It's a Robbins top I recently mounted. Did I do something wrong?

Old 08-29-2017, 04:04 AM

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

It's ripped!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Langelo DeMysterioso
It's ripped!
No there is a fold or a loose part in the soft top next to the window.Not sure what to call it. The straps should probably be over or under it when I close the roof, but they always end up folded like this.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raabjorn
When I close the soft top, this strap (on both sides of the car) get caught in the soft top.
It's a Robbins top I recently mounted. Did I do something wrong?

Strap is in a wrong place! it needs to behind the middle or second 10mm nut from the door thats holding the short corner metal brace (rain gutter behind it).

Dont try to close roof now or you will surely cause some damage.

Remove the parcel shelve via boot, side trims and the corner plastics (reachable from boot) then remove the metal bracing and place the strap on 2nd nut like i said...

however it looks like the rivets in the bar are also too far up so the strap might be now too short to reach behind nut. It will be fairly big hassle to drill them out and place correctly, try to partialy fold the roof half way, otherwise you might have to partialy remove it from first bow (the one near windscreen.)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by miloking
Strap is in a wrong place! it needs to behind the middle or second 10mm nut from the door thats holding the short corner metal brace (rain gutter behind it).

Dont try to close roof now or you will surely cause some damage.

Remove the parcel shelve via boot, side trims and the corner plastics (reachable from boot) then remove the metal bracing and place the strap on 2nd nut like i said...

however it looks like the rivets in the bar are also too far up so the strap might be now too short to reach behind nut. It will be fairly big hassle to drill them out and place correctly, try to partialy fold the roof half way, otherwise you might have to partialy remove it from first bow (the one near windscreen.)
This top looks to be a plastic window to glass window retrofit and per the Robbins instructions, the strap is located on the correct mounting stud. Try getting the straps behind that flap.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:19 PM

I've seen pictures of straps going straight back like mine, and pictures of straps going a bit more out to the sides, so I'm not sure how it should be.
I just got answer from the factory, and they said to move it one slot out to the sides, so I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far guys
Old 09-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2poor2mod
This top looks to be a plastic window to glass window retrofit and per the Robbins instructions, the strap is located on the correct mounting stud. Try getting the straps behind that flap.
I do that too every time i raise the top and then every time i drop it, the strap resets and gets stuck.

I've seen pictures of straps going straight back like mine, and pictures of straps going a bit more out to the sides, so I'm not sure how it should be.
I just got answer from the factory, and they said to move it one slot out to the sides, so I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far guys
I am curious to see how how it works out for you as I'm having the same issue with my recently installed Robbins softtop with plastic to glass conversion (installed to the T from the instructions from Robbins).
Old 09-07-2017, 11:42 AM

I spent the whole evening taking the car apart and moving the straps. And what do I discover? I had mounted them in the right place from the beginning. When I moved them, they were way to long and just hanging loosely. When I study the instructions again, I see that I had them in the right place. Stud number 4 and 8.
So frustrating wasting hours on this!! I hope the factory can give me some advice. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I spent the whole evening taking the car apart and moving the straps. And what do I discover? I had mounted them in the right place from the beginning. When I moved them, they were way to long and just hanging loosely. When I study the instructions again, I see that I had them in the right place. Stud number 4 and 8.
So frustrating wasting hours on this!! I hope the factory can give me some advice. I'll keep you posted.
Raabjorn, are both sides doing this? Or just the one side, pictured here? Was this self installed or did a professional install? What experience with S2000's did the installer have? It's hard to without examining the entire install to say if everything else is installed properly.

You could move it over one stud, however you'd have to cut the straps to the proper length, which would be some trial and error, to get it right. You run the risk here of going too short and the straps becoming unusable and voiding your warranty from Robbins. Keep trying to put the complete strap, top to bottom, under the flap. At the end of the day, this is a retrofit conversion and you may experience a few quirks.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To me it seems like that "Ear" of stitched together material should have been bonded down so the strap couldn't get under it and lift it up like that. Did you send this photo to Robbins and ask them why it is happening?

Quick Reply: Soft top strap not sitting right? Any advice?