S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Spoon Engine Mounts - Liquid Filled like OEM?

Old 12-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Lol a video of what exactly? I can't really think of a way to video the difference these mounts would make. Other mods would make a more noticeable difference in a video.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Yeah if I were to take a video of my car with the Ballade mounts vs OEM you wouldn't see any difference.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Lol a video of what exactly? I can't really think of a way to video the difference these mounts would make. Other mods would make a more noticeable difference in a video.
Well I was hoping for a difference in noise at idle if there were any.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by sk2_bri
It's difficult to capture in audio or video, but I sure feel it in my butt! The Spoon Mounts have introduced a harmonic vibration into the car that can be fairly annoying when idling or cruising around town. Fortunately, in full VTEC mode with what's left of my hair blowing back, I don't even notice it.
I can only imagine what even the softest of poly would be like....

I'll have to give a review on my mismatch setup when I finally get it installed. Vibratechnics engine mounts and Hardrace trans mounts. I was under the impression that Hardrace didn't sell the mounts separately, but Heeltoe has just the tranny blocks for sale.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sk2_bri
It's difficult to capture in audio or video, but I sure feel it in my butt! The Spoon Mounts have introduced a harmonic vibration into the car that can be fairly annoying when idling or cruising around town. Fortunately, in full VTEC mode with what's left of my hair blowing back, I don't even notice it.
Are you on motor mounts only, or Spooned out everywhere, motor mounts + transmission mounts?

Also, do you consider them broken in? Or still fresh when you feel the rumbling at idle?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Are you on motor mounts only, or Spooned out everywhere, motor mounts + transmission mounts?

Also, do you consider them broken in? Or still fresh when you feel the rumbling at idle?
I'm sure he's got both as the Spoon comes as a set (engine + trans). Afaik the Vibratechnics mounts are the only ones that are sold as engine mounts (they don't make a trans mount). I had purchased new OEM trans mounts until I just discovered today that you can purchase the hardrace trans mounts separately, so I got my order in. I also saw that Hardrace makes a full suspension bushing kit for our cars, and contacted Heeltoe about being able to get it; they can. Part number is Q0079; selling my Prothanes and running those instead.

Imo if you have a stiffer rubber you're always going to get increased vibration. I wouldn't worry about it much. When I went from Stock to full poly and then from full poly to the SPT (stiffer rubber) mounts on my STi I basically had almost the same stiffness as the poly but NOWHERE near as much NVH. It's unavoidable, and in some instances you'll notice slightly more vibration and then you get used to it; you won't with poly....and I consider myself pretty tolerant of a little added noise and vibration.

Poly sucks.....after a while things start to squeak and fall apart; they need to be greased regularly. That's why you see a lot of poly bushings with zerk fittings.....Rubber is much more durable in that regard. Might not be as rigid, but serviceability (or lack of a need to) is a huge thing for me with rubber over poly bushings. They last much longer.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo

Good questions.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle
I'm sure he's got both as the Spoon comes as a set (engine + trans). Afaik the Vibratechnics mounts are the only ones that are sold as engine mounts (they don't make a trans mount). I had purchased new OEM trans mounts until I just discovered today that you can purchase the hardrace trans mounts separately, so I got my order in. I also saw that Hardrace makes a full suspension bushing kit for our cars, and contacted Heeltoe about being able to get it; they can. Part number is Q0079; selling my Prothanes and running those instead.

Imo if you have a stiffer rubber you're always going to get increased vibration. I wouldn't worry about it much. When I went from Stock to full poly and then from full poly to the SPT (stiffer rubber) mounts on my STi I basically had almost the same stiffness as the poly but NOWHERE near as much NVH. It's unavoidable, and in some instances you'll notice slightly more vibration and then you get used to it; you won't with poly....and I consider myself pretty tolerant of a little added noise and vibration.

Poly sucks.....after a while things start to squeak and fall apart; they need to be greased regularly. That's why you see a lot of poly bushings with zerk fittings.....Rubber is much more durable in that regard. Might not be as rigid, but serviceability (or lack of a need to) is a huge thing for me with rubber over poly bushings. They last much longer.
I'd rather stay away from poly period. Spoon for me if the time comes (or Vibratechnics as in your case which you already have). When fitting my J's 70RS my friend and I looked closely at my mounts and immediately he compared them to his old ones which were torn by the time he replaced them and he said "your mounts are still good dude". Mounts money can be used elsewhere in my build then
Will probably get an ETD because I'm so intrigued by it. Once the blower goes under the hood it may be impossible to run the ETD I want (traditional VTEC style mount) and at that point it may be best for me to get the Spoon rubber kit.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
I'd rather stay away from poly period. Spoon for me if the time comes (or Vibratechnics as in your case which you already have). When fitting my J's 70RS my friend and I looked closely at my mounts and immediately he compared them to his old ones which were torn by the time he replaced them and he said "your mounts are still good dude". Mounts money can be used elsewhere in my build then
Will probably get an ETD because I'm so intrigued by it. Once the blower goes under the hood it may be impossible to run the ETD I want (traditional VTEC style mount) and at that point it may be best for me to get the Spoon rubber kit.
Yeah man, I got mine in the other day (finally). Vendor I ordered them from had them drop-shipped from the UK. They look damn impressive and came packed incredibly well directly from Vibratechnics. Can't wait to get them installed. One of the main reasons I got them is they don't retain the upper OEM heatshield thingy so they lower the motor roughly 5mm. I was planning on running a strut bar with whatever blower I went with, and I need to be able to dodge the intake. I'm not a fan of those flat bar looking ones; I prefer a beefier looking tube style. I grabbed the Comptech Titanium series bar which is notched out over the intake inlet area for clearance, the added 5mm of clearance will be very welcome; it gets tight in that area.

Also, since we're here....check out these nice little numbers I picked up just to add a little spice

Last edited by Kyle; 12-19-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:16 PM

Wow those look very impressive! Looks like a good quality kit from Vibratechnics. Looking forward to your impressions asap. 5mm clearance ought to help you with the strut bar.

Shiny new keys eh? Nice

Quick Reply: Spoon Engine Mounts - Liquid Filled like OEM?