S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Spoon Engine Mounts - Liquid Filled like OEM?

Old 10-17-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Ha. Honestly didn't know the factory mounts were liquid filled.

I broke TF out of one on a track crash. Didn't notice any liquid. Maybe because my mount broke all of a sudden and the liquid is clear? If it broke over time, perhaps I would have noticed some residue.
Firstly the crash sucks, sorry to hear about that...

Secondly the liquid is brown-ish in colour and yes you would have noticed residue on the mounts as that liquid would run out of the tops of the mounts. In your case its possible that the mounts were replaced with aftermarket liquid-free ones before you bought the car?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

My vote would be stock mounts and an etd. Best of both worlds. Allows factory level of NVH vibe control, yet limits engine movement for more direct engine to wheels power delivery. Side benefit of less engine movement, better shift feel.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:36 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I found one of my OEM mounts was cracked open when I unbolted it to install a header. Spilled what looked like fresh oil on my garage floor. I replaced them with the spoon mounts because the spoon mounts came as the full set of engine and trans mounts and also came with a reinforced trans mount that isn't really available any other way (well ASM makes one but it costs more than the entire mount kit from spoon) and at the price point given everything included the spoon set isn't that much more. Never run an ETD but not sure it would work with my ASM strut bar so I think the spoon mounts are a good upgrade. The vibration is maybe a little more noticeable than OEM then again I had a blown OEM mount so sort of hard to compare apples to apples. My car isn't a daily either so when I do drive it having a little more vibration isn't something that would annoy me.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
My vote would be stock mounts and an etd. Best of both worlds. Allows factory level of NVH vibe control, yet limits engine movement for more direct engine to wheels power delivery. Side benefit of less engine movement, better shift feel.
This is my line of thought but when I saw these Spoon mounts I got to thinking that maybe this is a good idea in the long run. Maybe what I'll do is grab a Seeker ETD and run it to see what difference it makes to my setup with worn OEM mounts (right side one anyway). If its impossible to run the ETD with my Vortech blower kit next year even with a modified VTEC sandwich plate that keeps the solenoid directly on the head then I may just have to leave the ETD aside and get the Spoon mounts kit...
Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I found one of my OEM mounts was cracked open when I unbolted it to install a header. Spilled what looked like fresh oil on my garage floor. I replaced them with the spoon mounts because the spoon mounts came as the full set of engine and trans mounts and also came with a reinforced trans mount that isn't really available any other way (well ASM makes one but it costs more than the entire mount kit from spoon) and at the price point given everything included the spoon set isn't that much more. Never run an ETD but not sure it would work with my ASM strut bar so I think the spoon mounts are a good upgrade. The vibration is maybe a little more noticeable than OEM then again I had a blown OEM mount so sort of hard to compare apples to apples. My car isn't a daily either so when I do drive it having a little more vibration isn't something that would annoy me.
That mount must have been completely toast to have spilled the oily like residue on the floor. Yes I agree - the Spoon mounts offer great value for money especially since they come with the reinforced trans mount which even the Mugen kit doesn't come with despite costing a bit more. I am going to get the Spoon rigid collars and will probably have a predominantly Spoon Sports build by the time I'm through

How does your car feel (acceleration, power transfer to the wheels, etc) with your Spoon mounts compared to OEM? Do you feel the vibration mainly at idle or even when accelerating hard?
Old 10-19-2018, 04:30 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Lots of talk about that reinforced transmission mount, what does it actually do except ad some weight?
Sure it's stronger and should minimize any flex but you still got rubber in between and I think that cancels out that beefed up steel pretty well.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with the OEM mounts. The engineers used hydromounts for a reason, to add system damping in the vertical direction.

The fluid you see is just a glycol blend. Stiffer mounts and/or the addition of an ETD will negatively impact NVH.

The S has a typical longitudinal (RWD) mount system which is designed to react to torque about the torque roll axis, in the vertical direction.

Adding an ETD messes with the balance and creates an over-determined system, it also adds an additional transfer path for vibrations.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-11-2019)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
So would vibrations from Spoon or Mugen mounts be too much to handle in car or hardly even there? I know these would give added performance benefits over OEM mounts as stated by those tuning houses.
I have Mugen mounts (of course ). It took a few hundred miles to break in, but once broken in you can't tell much of a difference- aside from the increased performance. Like mentioned previously about the Spoon mounts, there is a slight vibration when sitting at a stop light and have the a/c blasting. The shifting is much more crisp. If you are upgrading mounts, Spoon or Mugen are the way to go.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I just did my high flow cat last weekend and same thing but with the diff mounts - noticed one of the diff mounts was cracked. Been going back and forth on what to do - OEM and pony up for the Spoon mounts.
Innovative doesn't interest me at all. I had their 75a engine and trans mounts and hated all the NVH from it.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jtgray10
Stick with the OEM mounts. The engineers used hydromounts for a reason, to add system damping in the vertical direction.

The fluid you see is just a glycol blend. Stiffer mounts and/or the addition of an ETD will negatively impact NVH.

The S has a typical longitudinal (RWD) mount system which is designed to react to torque about the torque roll axis, in the vertical direction.

Adding an ETD messes with the balance and creates an over-determined system, it also adds an additional transfer path for vibrations.
Interesting. Do you have any more info to back this up?

Quick Reply: Spoon Engine Mounts - Liquid Filled like OEM?