S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Stock Headers

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Headers

Has anyone tried to port and polish the stock headers to see if that would make a difference?
I want to get an exhaust and/or header but can't afford both. With reading the header stickies it seems like the stock headers are pretty good to start with and to get any gains out of an after market I would need to spend at least 500-700.
THanks
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly doubt that would make much difference. Any gains on a header are related to runner lengths and collector width. Making any modifications without affecting those variables would probably be any exercise in futality.

If it were me, I'd go with a Berk header and call it a day. The money spent on a Toda or JDMwhatever header isn't worth the obscene amount of money.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM

waste of time and money. you will get very limited benefit from this and the time it takes to remove the header ( or cost for shop to do it ) and p&p it are pretty much pointless.

if you have a burning desire to spend the money, put it towards something else like reflash/intake/gears...hell, even an aftermarket tb would be better money spent.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ i agree with spectacle on the gains having to do with lengths of primaries and width of the pipes. but i disagree on that you should get a berk. the money that you spend on a berk and the hp gain from that is really not worth it either. all headers in general might not be worth the money. toda and all other jdm headers make a lot of power but 1000 is alot.

500-700 dollars on a header is NOT going to give you that much gain to same it was worth every penny. i mean they will reduce weight but would make not difference in acceleration. i bought a t1r old power header, but i used it to get a good tune and gain every little hp that i can on a budget.

oh btw, i dont know if you had time to look under the hood of your s2k, but we only have one header. and, since their is no difference in part number in the header between the model years, there is still one header. it's a noob joke, just messing with you.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks for everyone's knowledge and suggestions.
I have a K&N FIPK that I just put in a month ago. I guess I will go with and exhaust. I was looking at a T1r single or the First F1 Dual. I really want the dual look, but the T1r sounds so awesome and more power..........and less weight.
what to do???? oh and the T1r is a used one so It wont be full price.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM

got to make sacrifices. if you really want a header, just look in the used market on s2ki marketplace, if you really place on tuning it. i hear flash pro might be on it's way to my06+ s2k.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM

Since I haven't removed the stock S2000 header and taken a look at the inside of each of the runners, I can't tell you what difference porting would make. I'm not doubting what the others have said but if I were doing this project I would probably want to have a look at the stock header before giving up (but they are probably right). I used to have a 3rd generation Maxima and I had to remove the exhaust manifolds to replace some broken studs. I couldn't believe how inefficient those manifolds were - there were all kinds of obstructions and by the time I got them ported and reinstalled I found that it really did make more power. The difference here is that headers are a lot different than exhaust manifolds - it's unlikely there is a lot of "meat" to remove in a gasket port match. There is one thing that might be worth doing to the stock manifold - while I was at it with the Maxima exhaust manifolds I had them ceramic coated. The studies I've read seem to indicate that holding the heat in the header can give you up to 3-5% more power. If I were replacing or reinstalling a header, there is no way I wouldn't have it ceramic coated. Last time I checked the place that did it for me would charge about $150 for a 4 cyl manifold. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 PM

You can buy my First F1 header and testpipe, only want 350 for both shipped, excellant cond, great midrange, no finger prints looks mint from under hood
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 PM

^ from under the hood? lol, hum isn't it a 4-1 header, dont they give better high end?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 AM

back in the day when i was in the NA route. Dude don't waste your time...get rid of the stock headers and buy RICKS headers... TRUST ME!!!

Ricks headers are the exact same as the Mugen headers but much much cheaper. I used to have ricks headers...AEM V2 intake...Apexi g-spec single exhaust and i made 218 @ dyno dynamics.

these cars have been around for 9 years. There has been hundreds upon hundreds of posts regarding NA for this car. i've had mine for over 4 years. if you think your gonna spend 500-700 bux porting the stock headers you might as well buy ricks headers for about 600.

but if i was you i'd just keep the car bone stock until i go FI. Theres no real good gains for NA with this car.

TRUST ME!!! i'm not posting this to waste your time..im posting this from my past experience

Quick Reply: Stock Headers