S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

T1R full exhaust system bolt on? Answer inside.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default T1R full exhaust system bolt on? Answer inside.

So my plight begins as so. I will do the least amount of typing and let the emails and pictures show itself.

History: Beginning gathering parts for my car that I didn't have yet. Saw great and raving reviews of T1R exhaust products and thought to myself. Why be a brand whore, everyone loves it ill give it a go. This was January of 2009.

Items were purchased brand new through AJ-Racing. T1R Header, T1R 63S Dual Sparrow, T1R Test Pipe along with other T1R parts and goods.

Fast Forward: August 4th. Car was finally finished being put back together from being torn down and repainted. Installed the T1R items in my car, straight out of the box.

I noticed an issue with it and decided to contact AJ-Racing. Specifically Jason Tam who I was dealing with at the time of purchase.

S2KI PM:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08/04/2009

Hey Jason

I have a question. I installed the T1R header, Testpipe, and the 63S Sparrow. The exhaust seems short and the rear part of the resonator hits the body. Also, the Testpipe outlet on the headerside seems to have a leak in the exhaust. Do you remember if a 70mm or a 63mm was the one I purchased? Im pretty sure it was the 63mm. Also have any other customers had issues with this problem of the "short" exhaust? Thanks.

Martin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08/04/2009

Hey Martin,

I can check up on your previous orders, I'll just need your full name before I can find out which size test pipe you have.

Also, we haven't had any issues with exhausts being "short". As for the leak, it might be that the gasket is not sealing properly to cause the leak. We have replacement gaskets as well.

If you can send me some photos of the resonator hitting the body, I can try to examine it for you. Also, I would like to know if you've ran a different aftermarket exhaust in the past. Reason being is because if you change the bushings, it may cause a rubbing issue on the exhaust.

If you can let me know what year your car is as well, that would be great.

You can have the photos and info sent to: info@aj-racing.com and I should be able to help you out.

Regards,

Jason @ AJR
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08/05/2009

Jason,

I will get the car on the lift today or tomorrow and take pictures for you. The outlet side on the header where it meets the test pipe, it seems that the test pipe outlet seems to be larger than the donut and the header opening although the pipe looks the same size. The car was purchased bone stock and had all stock parts on the manifold as well as catalyc converter and exhaust. The rear section of the exhaust seemed sunk in closer towards the front of the car, not sure if it is the test pipe's length. I just installed everything that was purchased from you so the issues were just noticed. Thank you.

Marty
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Close of the PM's. Now to the emails.
08/06/2009

Hello Jason,

Here are the photos that you requested. After doing some examination, it seems that the test pipe is the misfit of them all. I will let you be the judge. There is no tension at all on the springs, and the flange side opening covers basically the whole donut coming from the T1R header. The donut is OEM. When the car is started, the exhaust leak is coming from that area. Also in the picture is showing where the resonator hits the body of the car, as well as the piping nearing the pumpkin. All hangars are factory S2000's.

The car was acquired a bone stock 2002 Honda S2000.

Martin

Bend Pipe hits the pumpkin at certain times.

It is literally resting on the body. I put a piece of double sided foam tape there to cushion the impact on the body of the car.

It leaks out of this outlet like hell. I might as well not even have a donut in there and replace the spring loaders with nuts and bolts.

But oddly enough, even with no tension on the springs. When the three bolts that hold the B-Pipe to the Test Pipe were removed I got this:

Pretty large gap right?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08/10/2009

Hey Martin,

It is quite strange to see this fitment issue on the vehicle. This is actually the first time we've seen this problem. We've had countless customers, who have installed the header, test pipe and the 63S combination and haven't had any issues. The exhaust actually all comes from the same mold, so if there was a fitment issue on one exhaust, every exhaust would have the same problem.

However, to get you a fix, you can actually add an adaptor between the b-pipe and the test pipe and that should solve all the fitment issues.

I was also wondering, since you purchased the exhaust back in January of 09, why wasn't there any issues with the exhaust up until now?

Regards,
Jason Tam
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08/10/2009

Jason,

I purchased all the stuff ahead of time before purchasing the car. After purchase the car was torn down and resprayed completely in and out. I actually just finished spraying the car about three weeks ago and began the modding process and assembling the car again. The exhaust, header, bpipe combo has been on the car now for about a week at most. We did the install and then took it for a test drive. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point with the exhaust to be honest. Thanks

Martin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08/13/2009

Hey Martin,

You can try the adaptor method which I recommended if you like since this is the first time we've had this issue. If you do decide to try it out, let me know how it turns out.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please notify me as soon as possible.

Regards,
Jason Tam

I call bullshit, because I talked to a previous owner of a T1R header and they said it was short. At around this point I also sent an email to Ben, The owner of AJ-Racing to let him know of the situation, and that he could give me a call to discuss this issue and come to a resolution. That was sent on August 10th, and I have yet to hear from Ben.

Out of frustration, I sent this email below
08/14/2009

Jason,

I have a suggestion. How about I measure everything to spec, See what is the faulty part on the whole system setup and have the faulty part replaced by your company? Adding an adapter plate for me is not really an option since this was suppose to be a bolt on exhaust setup which at this point is not. The adapter plate will not be a problem fixer in total because it would only push the exhaust off the body of the car. The plate will not fix the exhaust leak since there is a visible, and vocal exhaust leak where the end of the header meets the test pipe at the flange. At this point what my end of the deal is that I have to cut, extend, modify, then reweld flanges to stop the leaking exhaust and the length. If this is what you want me to do, just tell me so and I will never deal with your company ever again in the future, let alone T1R. Thank you.

Martin

I never recieved a reply from Jason. This last email was sent at 4:55PM, 1:55PM AJ-Racing's global time on Thursday. Friday I figure there would be a reply. Nothing. Saturday most parts places are open right? Nothing Saturday. Nothing Sunday. Nothing Monday. Nothing today, Tuesday.

I did a full measurement of stock vs the T1R, since its suppose to line up and bolt on completely like stock right?

T1R test pipe vs Stock Cat - Perfect Length.
T1R exhaust from Cat to end hangar - Perfect Length.
T1R header from last bolt to flange? - Short 7/8th of an inch.

My solution?

At the advice of my peers, I cut the cheapest part of this now labeled by me a non bolt on waste of a money system. So I decided on the Test Pipe.

Figuring that I might be cockeyed with measurement, I decided to do 1.1 of an inch extention on the straight portion of the pipe.

The outcome?

Hey Jason and Ben. I guess your lucky I have access to a TIG welder, and im not some poor defenseless guy that has a non fitting exhaust that you dont want to address properly eh?

The Fitment afterwards:

I got the exhaust resonator to get off the body of the car. But I still had a leaky exhaust problem from the header outlet onto the ball flange. Turns out that the collector that claims to be 65mm outlet isn't at all. I was able to spin the donut freely on the flange itself. The exhaust leak may have been coming from the non form fitting donut. After toying around with 5 different donuts that didnt fit, I decided to stick with the OEM donut. To prevent it from spinning freely....

Now its completely sealed. No leaks at all from front to back.

This is my experience and my adventures on fixing the problem without the help of AJ-R, who from what i've read and what was said to me in emails, probably owns the company T1R?

My first instincts when putting this car together was to be a brand whore. But after reading good reviews on this site, I decided to put aside that shallow side of me and go with something that does the job. Worst mistake. The other mistake was ever dealing with AJ-Racing.

This is my experience with them. Yours may be different. But this is mine.

Total miles on Exhaust system now? 182.3 Miles.

Marty
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 PM

wow... that tore the hell out of your pumpkin. Sorry to hear about that but at least you fixed it the right way. You should send this thread to AJ-Racing and T1R to see what they have to say.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No, actually the pumpkin was a result of a bad jacking incident. I have a new diff going in soon so that will be for parts or a spare.

At this point I don't care what AJ-R/T1R have to say. I let my patience run its course, but having to deal two weeks of nothing was enough for me.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 PM

ahh.. I was kinda wondering how it could have caused that much damage. Anyway Ive never bought from AJR and probably never will with this and the supposedly fake J's exhaust from them I just dont think its worth it.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T1R and A&J are basically the same people.

the guy that owns T1R also owns A&J

So if you email T1R you will get replied to by the same people.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 PM

thats too bad... im glad you got it worked out and your welds look clean too
Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I gotta commend you on your patience. As far as being a brand whore, T1R is not exactly a generic brand, they started to build something of a rep for quality. Locally I know a number of S2Ks with clean installs of T1R catbacks so I guess it's an issue of uneven build quality.

The customer service sounds weak, at least in this case.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mister x,Aug 19 2009, 12:06 AM
Man I gotta commend you on your patience. As far as being a brand whore, T1R is not exactly a generic brand, they started to build something of a rep for quality. Locally I know a number of S2Ks with clean installs of T1R catbacks so I guess it's an issue of uneven build quality.

The customer service sounds weak, at least in this case.
yes, they been around for a while too.

sucks that you don't get the support from them

Quick Reply: T1R full exhaust system bolt on? Answer inside.