S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Time to get a New Clutch

Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to get a New Clutch

So its time to get a new clutch. Money is a bit more tight at the moment. The blowout I had a couple months ago didn't help when I just had to buy new rims and tires.

So I am planning most likely to keep the car stock for the next year. But I remember when I had an upgraded clutch and flywheel on my RSX I loved the feel. So with the AP2 it sounds like a lighter flywheel makes sense. So I started going down the route of pricing out parts. Is there any reason I shouldn't just get the SOS clutch, flywheel and bearing kit? Is there something that can save me money in buying those parts? Actually any help or opinions would be great. I have gone through the past threads and it seems all over the place on clutch and flywheel opinions.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 AM

If I'm not mistaken, a light weight flywheel actually hinders daily drivability because the car lacks torque. Maybe someone can chime in. As for a clutch, I've heard a good quality pressure plate and an oem disc is what you want. You'll have performance "clamping" ability with oem engagement I believe
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/847016-clutch-debate/
Old 07-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Sounds like I should go with an OEM Clutch, ACT Pressure Plate, and light flywheel. Anyone know where a good place to get this stuff would be?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the act is on backorder.

Honestly any name brand flywheel and pressure plate along with an oem disk and bearings will be fine.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ACT has been on back order for over two months now. I was on the list for about 5-6 weeks of that before bailing and going with the SOS sport clutch.

OP what are your plans for the car after a year? If you are dead set on FI then yes I can understand wanting to step up, but if not then I would just go stock parts. If you want to go budget I have an OEM pressure plate and friction disc with only 6-7k miles on them that I just took off to put my SOS kit on that I'll let go for cheap; was planning on listing for sale this week. LMK.

But like I said, if FI is anywhere in the near future, then upgrade now while you have the trans down or else you'll regret it in a year when you have to pull it again like I did.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 PM

There is an off chance that I would do mild FI on this setup, but not in the next year. It seems like other things get in the way of me spending money on the car. The one thing was how much I liked how the RSX drove with the lightened flywheel. And when I did eventually supercharge the car, wow! I have tried to tell myself no modding this car unless something breaks and I can replace it with something better.

So I am looking on ebay and I see the Exedy OEM Clutch and Fidanza 8lb flywheel for $630 shipped, no tax, as a reference price. Since Amazon seems easiest to search on, what pressure plate should I look at?

Coolguy: How much would you want for your parts? So I would just need to get the flywheel and clutch right?

Also while I am having a shop do this, anything else related to the clutch that I should replace? The car has 65k miles. Whoever owned this car before me when I bought it at 20k miles must have done some hard driving.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Sorry to ask this but its related.. Im not sure if it is a s2000 thing but my s2k's clutch has no feel of clamping until i almost have the pedal out. It feels so lazy getting off of first.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 PM

Mine has clamping pretty close to the floor.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 AM

When I first picked up my ap1 about a month ago, 2000 model with 58k miles. The clutch engaged really close to the floor. And since then, it engages almost completely up. Granted yesterday it took complete turn for the worse, 61k miles. So I guess those 3k miles I put on it were too hard for the car >< I found a decent kit for about 250 bucks, I just need something to get it moving for a bit so I can dump something name brand into it. Guess this means no more vtec shifts for me lol

Quick Reply: Time to get a New Clutch