S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

upgrade rotors & brakes

Old 01-06-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade rotors & brakes

i will need to replace f/r rotors & pads soon,i whant to get slotted rottors for the f/r also like to upgrade brake lines as well. can anyone tell me is it worth getting slotted rotors or should i just stick with the oem. my car is a daily driver and sees no track time. if so can you tell me what you have and how much of diff. its made for you any info would help me out thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

slotted and drilled rotor pretty much doesn't worth the extra price at all.

most of the cheaper stuff on the market are casted as solid disk and then machined by some machinist. The expensive/race/bbk disk(mostly) are casted with the holes already in it. needless to say drilling something casted without the holes will damage the integrity of the part. that is why you see them cracking much more than solid disk.

imho, save your money.

braidline work wonders on older car, but i don't really think you going to drive your car on the street to a point that you can feel the pedal different. i don't have a set on my s so i don't want to say anything about it.

if you end up gettting braided line, make double sure you change them according to miles and age. The reason being they don't show damage and people just assume they are fine.

if you ask me, i'll go for a set of brembo blank, DOT 4 fluid and more aggressive pad.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the above, but have no experience with Brembo blanks. Since you talk about street use only, the stock setup is more than capable.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were going to track it occasionally, I would suggest something that is capable for both (I have Hawk HP+ pads all the way around, stock rotors). Worked well for me. Next upgrade is Azenis 615s and coilovers...
Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Jan 6 2008, 09:48 PM
I agree with the above, but have no experience with Brembo blanks. Since you talk about street use only, the stock setup is more than capable.
I always have to laugh when people talk about "upgrading" the brake system that I guarantee they are not exceeding right now.

"Upgrade" = "pay more" in many people's minds. "It's aftermarket, it MUST be better than stock!"
Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 AM

yeah, it seems like the stock set up is better than most of the similarly priced aftermarket stuff. however, i went with powerslot slotted rotors. so they probably don't perform any better, but they definitely look nicer. and if you don't track or auto-x, does it really matter if stock rotors perform better? though your pads might get chewed up faster...one thing to consider.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM

thanks guys for your input its really help my decision i have decided to stick with oem, muchas gracias!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by fastcrs,Jan 6 2008, 08:14 PM
i will need to replace f/r rotors & pads soon,i whant to get slotted rottors for the f/r also like to upgrade brake lines as well. can anyone tell me is it worth getting slotted rotors or should i just stick with the oem. my car is a daily driver and sees no track time. if so can you tell me what you have and how much of diff. its made for you any info would help me out thanks!
Iv'e been running some inexpesive slotted/dipmled rotors I found on an ebay store for some time now. They cost $200 for front and rear and stop way better then the factory disk. I wasn't sure what to expect, but wanted to find out for myself and am so glad I did. I have been very impressed! They have a zink finish which factories dont, makes them stay looking nice and the added breaking power wet and dry the these offer over stock is so much stronger. They are just blank factory cast like OEM that have been machined for the grooves and dimples. No need to spend crazy amounts of money on something that is so easy to manufacture reliably. You will increase your stopping power I have noticed at least 30-40% and another 20% by going with a generic ceramic break pad. Thats alot of extra stopping power over stock for not alot of money.

It is a fact that slotted rotors grab the pad much better then a non slotted rotor, the initial bite is very noticeable to me and stopping force applied to the peddle is also reduced. The wet or debris evacuation is also another key factor in slotted that perform better over stock. Anyone who actually uses these and sais they notice no difference in breaking power over stock is simply high!

Stay away from cheep drilled and you will be fine.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Jan 9 2008, 05:04 PM
... the added breaking power wet and dry the these offer over stock is so much stronger.

You will increase your stopping power I have noticed at least 30-40% and another 20% by going with a generic ceramic break pad.
How did you come to the numerical assessment over stock performance?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Jan 9 2008, 02:07 PM
How did you come to the numerical assessment over stock performance?
I hooked up my make belive power numerator. How do you think?

The same way you noticed the stroker kit when you installed this on your car!

When you stepped on the gas peddle for the first time after installing the stroker kit, what % power would you say that you felt your car make over the same amound of peddle aplication over stock? Its a formulation estimet that you make in your head, and if your sesitive to it and know your car before and after well, then you can put forth a good estimated % number.

I don't spend crazy amounts of money on mods so I don't need to belive that I am supose to feel anything afterward. I'm not delutional and numb to the feeling of if a mod I make works or not. If I feel a difference its because I am sensitive to it. to the point to where i can even give you a breakdown of the % over stock like in this case. You should try these Skip, you won't be disapointed!

Quick Reply: upgrade rotors & brakes