S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Vented Hood

Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 28 2007, 12:18 AM
I could have sworn I was the first to post in this thread.

The Veilside I've had for over 4 yrs fits well. I am the second owner. The original owner did mention that the body shop had to do some extra sanding/prep to get the finish ready for paint. Not sure how they are now. Find one used and simply respray.

As for cutting the oem hood, do not do it if you care about high-speed performance. For city driving, it's fine- it allows the engine bay to breathe. At speed, however, you do not gain anything. In fact, you increase drag. Without some sort of deflection just in front of the openings, the air rushing over the hood does not draw the engine bay air out. That is why you see the Veilside, J's and all vented hoods with a "bump" in front of the vents.

Hope that helps.

PS. Going with a CF hood saves very little weight over stock- not enough of a reason to justify the price of an authentic one. Ventilation? Yes. Weight savings alone? No.
I really appreciate the info. While I will not likely be tracking the car, it doesn't make sense to do a cheap mod that has no benefits. I already knew there was no real weigh savings with a CF hood. Thats why fitment was my first concern. One other member I know had a latch fitment problem with the Veilside, but adapted it to fit and looking at his car, well, its just a nice hood.

I will not likely get this till after the New Year, and even then, I may not. My mod list includes the CR Wing, discs, cr spec springs and shocks, arc heat shield and eventually wheels + alot of other "stuff". (Anyone got $5 or $6 K they can let me have! )

Any experience out there with the Seibon hoods? If you have one how did install go and how good is the product?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by SOHCmyDOHC,Nov 27 2007, 09:08 PM
I got a TOP Secret FRP hood. No adjustments whatsoever.

Nice hood - And in my color! Dare I ask what you paid for it?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LINESUPER,Nov 28 2007, 08:25 AM
One other member I know had a latch fitment problem with the Veilside, but adapted it to fit and looking at his car, well, its just a nice hood.
Talking about Sam in Youngstown?

And you're welcome.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 28 2007, 09:25 AM
Talking about Sam in Youngstown?

And you're welcome.
Indeed I am. He's a great guy! And, by the way so are you! I'm not really sure I have had the honor of meeting you, but I believe you got a calendar back in Dec4/Jan 05 from W1ngman that I had the honor of putting together. And if that was your Suzuka Blue "S" - that's one awesome pic!
Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 AM

[QUOTE=LINESUPER,Nov 28 2007, 10:14 AM] Indeed I am.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LINESUPER,Nov 28 2007, 09:25 AM
Any experience out there with the Seibon hoods? If you have one how did install go and how good is the product?
i installed a seibon MG hood on my car. the install of a hood is very easy, but getting the right fit is the hard part. it takes A LOT of time to adjust. you need to play with the hood latch assembly, the hood-hinge bolts, and the hinge-body bolts. Steve@Evolution also told me that he needed to make the holes in the hood latch assembly bigger to give it some more play. all of the seibon hoods i've seen in person have a huge vertical gap between the fender and the edge of the hood, but i've seen pics of many that have OEM-like fitment. once i get my car back from the collision center i plan to spend as long as it takes to get my hood to fit right.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skip remind me to never ride or let you drive
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sparrow,Nov 28 2007, 01:31 AM
I've been working on a solution for that skip...as you can see with the first hole (largest) my filter sits right in it allowing fresh air to directly hit it at a speed or drawn in at a stop...the last 2 vents I am working on an idea, which i have no idea of how to test its effectiveness, that will draw the hot air out...the theory is sound imo but when I am finished we'll see if it works
do you think you could somehow roll the front of each hole?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow,Nov 28 2007, 10:23 AM
skip remind me to never ride or let you drive
I drive like a girl on the streets now. I save the "fun" for the track. F1-Fanatic caught my car with all fours off the ground at the Fall Colors track day, albeit, not as far off the ground as the above one.

www.normanperkel.com
Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha nice...rashad...i do not have the tools to roll aluminum...but heres my idea...its the same principle as the guards above sunroofs...you could fabricate a reverse hood scoop to place over the front of the hole...the resulting vacuum behind the scoop would draw the hot air out of the last two holes

Quick Reply: Vented Hood