S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

A very different review of Evan's eTune

Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read most of this thread and generally have respect for both Jeff and Greg. I got an E-tune and am very happy with it. Then again I'm not a tuning god and I don't have the expertise to analyze this to the Nth degree either.

That said, Greg, you didn't really think Jeff was going to improve on your carefully honed custom tune, did you? And for $200 through email? Your fault on that one.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby
I'm not trying to convince anyone to use AF instead of AF Corr. I'm trying to point out that you cannot assume AF Corr is correct. You need to verify it somehow. Unless you see an error in my calculations, or data, there's really nothing to argue about. If you believe that a 5% change in fuel should cause a 5% change in actual AFR, then the AF value is much more accurate on my S2000.

FWIW, when my car had the "Return to stock" calibration with the PWJDM intake and a 60 mm test pipe (everything else stock), my injector duty cycles got up to 88% at 8055 RPMs with an AF Corr value of 13.79. That was the richest point of the RPM range, and below that, the AFR Corr value was above 14:1, and as high as 15.16:1. My brother's totally stock '06 AP2 is very similar.

BTW, do you guys have a different type of fuel in your region? Maybe the gas we have in Texas gives a more accurate AF value ...

Dunno about anyone else....but I'm running 93 Octane with I believe 10% ethanol.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
So I was all amped up to get a flashpro and get Jeff to do an e-tune from me and had this review been from any other member on the boards I'd probably just ignore it and move on but now I'm questioning what I really should do?

If my car is a bone stock ap2 with test pipe and single exhaust am I really going to get a noticeable difference out of a e-tune?

You will definitely benefit from an eTune, and I would not steer you away from Evan's Tuning. Honestly, I believe his eTunes might have been the best available before this thread, but I would expect them to be even better after this thread. The biggest problem I had with it was the dangerously lean part throttle tune in VTEC (which everyone seems to be ignoring), and I believe he will be much less likely to repeat that mistake. I also believe Hondata can impliment a simple fix to help prevent it by filtering out the erroneous data (INJ = 0 and Fuel Status <> 2 or 4).

The "hot bed" topic about the AF vs AF Corr accuracy really isn't that big of a deal. The only problem that I see with Jeff's WOT tune was that it cost me a 1-2 ft-lbs across the rev range by running uber-rich. There's nothing dangerous about that.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
That said, Greg, you didn't really think Jeff was going to improve on your carefully honed custom tune, did you? And for $200 through email? Your fault on that one.
I'm not casting criticizing the eTune because it didn't make more power than my tune, but I truly did hope it would give a performance benefit. I have considered getting some sort of professional tune for many months, and will probably wind up getting a full dyno-tune when I can afford it. I just know that I haven't explored all the possibilities to achieving better performance on my own, since I know the soft dyno doesn't have the high resolution that a conventional dyno does (note that I said "resolution", not "consistency"). I'd really like to have one of the fellow S2KI tuners do it (b.r.i.a.n, wadzi, etc.).
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gernby
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1318970524' post='21081229
I'm not casting criticizing the eTune because it didn't make more power than my tune, but I truly did hope it would give a performance benefit. I have considered getting some sort of professional tune for many months, and will probably wind up getting a full dyno-tune when I can afford it. I just know that I haven't explored all the possibilities to achieving better performance on my own, since I know the soft dyno doesn't have the high resolution that a conventional dyno does (note that I said "resolution", not "consistency"). I'd really like to have one of the fellow S2KI tuners do it (b.r.i.a.n, wadzi, etc.).
I don't know in what proximity you're located to secret service auto in Houston, but their tuner there, chris (not sure of last name, but there are 2 chris's there and he's the one that tunes vehicles) is an EPIC tuner.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:05 PM

hey, i guess this would be this best time to post this. here is a picture of my dyno graph. i also had my car etune by evan tuning. i am in the process of correcting things. i hope. i had a lot of knocking. i have contacted my tuner and we are trying to see what is going on. but this is a picture of toda can tune vs evan tuning tune.
Name:  ETunevsTodaOEM.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  12.3 KB
the only gain was from 3600-4200 rpms, and that was just from lowering vtec.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 PM

First off I will stick up for Evans tuning. I had my 520whp SC'ed s2000 tuned by Jeff Evan. I have had no issues at all with him or his tunes!! He does grade A work and stands behind his work. I spoke with him ~30 times after my tune to help determine what was causing my misfires (which was due to a failing MAP sensor). I know this is about Etunes so I will also say I too am a Evan's tuning etune customer also.

I have had work done by Jeff Evans on three different accounts:
1. N/A Etune...went great
2. FI dyno tune on 93 and race fuel
3. FI Etune on 93 and race fuel

I am pushing 22psi on a stock block motor I am currently running a Jeff Evan's Etune and I have NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER!! I datalog every chance I get!!! Correct I am in no way a skilled tuner but when another tuner says my car feels stronger then there 700 whp car then I will say GOOD JOB JEFF EVANS!!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing etune with jeff. Very helpful, nice person when i lived in pa. Most my friends got tuned by him! This guy knows his stuff, so much i chose to go etune over local dyno tuners around here, and im 100% positive he will take good care of my etune...
Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evans Tuning
As I had said earlier you experienced lean misfiring, NO engine damage will occur because there is no combustion. A fuel cut rev limiter like launch control is the same idea (more controlled). Do some research on air/fuel, combustion and flame front and you'll see what I am talking about.
I agree that once the ECU went into open loop, and the AFR jumped to almost 19:1, that probably wouldn't result in any harm. However, I do think I could have done damage in the RPM range just below that, where it was still in closed loop with an AFR in the low 16's.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Jeff,

I wasn't aware that you had also developed an eDyno. Do you only use it for some eTunes? Honestly, I did hope that there would be some sort of eDyno plot that would be provided to show the net changes from the eTune, but none of the datalog instructions were specific enough to generate an accurate eDyno result. I'm a huge fan of eDynos, but know that they are only as consistent as the datalogs used to generate them. I have to wonder if Alan knew how important it was to make sure his datalogs were performed under identical conditions so that you could calculate a 15 whp / 6 ft-lbs difference between them. Some of the WOT datalogs I sent you were somewhat controlled, but some were not. I'm sure they would show +/-20 whp swings just from the change in topology.

Quick Reply: A very different review of Evan's eTune