S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Voodoo shift knob hard to twist off?

Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voodoo shift knob hard to twist off?

Alright guys so im trying to twist my voodoo shift knob off and this dam thing wont come loose, I got it to twist maybe two or three times then it stopped. I was twisting it counter closewise, am I twisting it the right way? Ive come to a conclusion that the last owner put loctite on the threads because, it should not come to a point where I have a huge blister on my thumb to take this thing off ive had my sisters bf who is actually alot stronger than me and he even said it was way to tight(btw we both were wearing mechanic gloves). I dont wanna force it anymore for the risk of breaking the shifter. Does anyone have any information or had an experience with this and got it to come off? if you can share I would GREATLY appreciate it. I just wanna use my new moddiction shift knob

UPDATE:Alright guys well I got the shift knob off . For anyone who has this problem in the future, the way I got it off was by turning it clockwise and counter-clockwise repeatedly until the loctite got loose once it was loose, it spun right off. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Site Moderator

Received 351 Likes on 305 Posts

The only thing I can think to do is maybe try and get some kind of goo gone or whatever would break it loose. Does it screw back down? Maybe just alittle wd40 in there. Thats very odd. Mine usually takes a little force to break it loose but it comes off easy after that.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:17 PM

^Yea its hard to turn it back the other way maybe ill try and spray some wd40 in there and let it sit overnight. My dad was also telling me about this rubber tool I can get from sears so I can get a good leverage on it. Im just scared that if I use too much force it will break the shifter.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Is it engraved? If so it probably does have loctite as I think that is how those are aligned with the engravings.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM

^Yes it is engraved, how would you go about pulling off a shift knob with loctite?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Depending on the loctite used you might have to heat it with a torch or something to break down the loctite.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Depending on the loctite used you might have to heat it with a torch or something to break down the loctite.
thats gonna suck, can I torch this thing without damaging the knob?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Not sure if it would damage it or not really. Depends on the finish. Try some rubber gloves or something to really get a good grip or pull the shifter assembly out to be able to put it in a vice or something to try and twist it off. Hopefully they only used lue loctite and not red. Red requires heat to remove it states.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 AM

^Ive tried using gloves already, I think im gonna try using a strap wrench and some pliers to hold the shifter in place so I dont break anything I think that should do the trick, if not well then fml.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I would say use some sort of tool to get some torque advantage on it. How about those clamps/pliers that are used to remove oil filters? I have a set that are wide and have rubber teeth for grip. I feel like that would help.

Hopefully the loc-tite will just break down under the stress of removal and not damage the threads. It would be beneficial to clean the threads with a wire brush or the correct size die (if you happen to have one, lol) to get excess loc-tite off.

Quick Reply: Voodoo shift knob hard to twist off?