S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

VTEC Modification?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Modification?

I recently stroked my 2.0L to a 2.4L with the Brian Crower stroker kit. I havent yet have it tuned but when I do I would like to have my VTEC programmed to kick in at 4500 RPM's instead of the factory 6000. Does anyone know if that is a complicated request, or is it just something simple that any tuning location should be able to do? I do not plan on a full EMS I'm just planning on running an AEM FI/C.

Any information on this would be helpful, thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you did a full stroker kit but your not wanting to run an EMS yet?

If you search through the Naturally Aspirated forum, or the Engine Management section you will find your answers. There is an optimal place to set vtec also to get the most power out of your S.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a stroker and don't want to run an EMS??? Hope you havent driven it untuned

either way your tuner will be able to change vtec engagement based on where the car wants it to be its part of tuning a car correctly
Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You're going to get a lot of crap about your engine management choice. You've spent way too much money on your rebuild if you're going to cheap out on the ECU. Get a used AEM EMS so that you can protect your investment and also get decent driveability and performance.

If your tuner is qualified to tune, and has experience with VTEC engines, then he'll know how to find the right VTEC engagement point. Every setup has a different "optimal" engagement RPM. Mine is at 3500 RPMs when I have the stock header and a test pipe. If I have a catalytic converter installed, then it needs to be at 5500. If I replace the stock header with my T1R header, then it needs to be at 3900.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM

I know I'm going to get crap about my management system of choice, but as sad as it is I just cant afford it. The EMS alone is in the $1300 range, and the tuning location I have spoken with said it would cost almost $800 in tuning. I just dont have the money for that. Not to mention the fact that practically no one in the Knoxville TN area is good at tuning s2000's. I've had alot of people ask me how I could afford the Stoker kit and not the EMS, the simple way to put it is that I had no idea how much I was actually going to end up spending on the stroker, and after everthing and dont have any money left.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Then you shouldn't have built your setup. All your asking is "whats the slowest way I can blow a stroked engine".

As to your question, without some sort of EMS, yes your request is complicated. On top of that you want to shift vtec without adjusting fuel or timing? I wouldn't do that on a stock engine, let alone a stroked one.

You've dug yourself a deep hole.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM

I am planning on running an Engine Management System? Its just a piggyback off of the stock ECU to adjust Ignition and fuel.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you plan on running ANYTHING!!! run a greddy emanage ultimate if you plan not running an EMS. a aem fic is JUNK. it will do nothing but kill your motor, i have no delt with one myself but there are a few threads where these things just wont tune correctley. a used aem ems is around 600-800. then a tune is usually 400-600 depending on where you go. 800 is outrageous.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM

I Know, $800 for tuning is completely outrageous! But I dont know where to take my S. I live in Knoxville Tennessee and I have only been able to fine 2 places that have even worked with these cars. The cheapest I have been able to find the AEM EMS for $1000. Do you think that the greddy emanage would do the trick for my setup? I dont do track days or anything like that, the car is just fun and my daily driver. and yes... I build a stroker motor for my N/A daily driver.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by durtbikedude365,Jan 19 2011, 12:45 PM
I know I'm going to get crap about my management system of choice, but as sad as it is I just cant afford it. The EMS alone is in the $1300 range, and the tuning location I have spoken with said it would cost almost $800 in tuning. I just dont have the money for that. Not to mention the fact that practically no one in the Knoxville TN area is good at tuning s2000's. I've had alot of people ask me how I could afford the Stoker kit and not the EMS, the simple way to put it is that I had no idea how much I was actually going to end up spending on the stroker, and after everthing and dont have any money left.
800 in tuning wtf, are you trying to go to some loser shop in florida?!

Quick Reply: VTEC Modification?