S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

where to get UK mod done in AL

Old 12-13-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to get UK mod done in AL

Hello, my name is Steven. Sorry if I post in the wrong spot here. This is my first post. Right after I bought my 2005 S2000 I came to this website and began reading about different things. And want to thank you already for all the help. Anyways. I bought a stock (other than k&n intake) 2005 s2000 back in April. I added a 60mm invidia test pipe and want to get the uk mod done. I went to several shops in pelham, AL and was the cheapest I have found is $350 to get the uk mod done to my exhaust. Does anyone know of a shop around the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa area that I can get this mod done for a decent price? Again sorry if in wrong forum and thanks for your help!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to S2ki. $350 is price gouging for something so simple. Post your thread in your regional section for better responses:

Alabama S2000 Owners Club
Old 12-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Tagging on here.

Is there a print or diagram on exactly what and how this is done. I'm seeing different lengths listed in mm.

-- Chuck
Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Tagging on here. Is there a print or diagram on exactly what and how this is done. I'm seeing different lengths listed in mm. -- Chuck
More mm = more sound.

Search UK exhaust mod in Google for images
Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

There are nuances to how people have done this mod. I saw where one guy took the time and effort to really think through flow of gasses, and attempt to optimize the angle of the uk mod pipe.

But since this mod is only about sound, not performance, that attention to detail isn't needed. All you need to do is add a small pipe to connect one of the muffler pipes to the other.

The diameter of this added pipe dictates how much sound is added. The length the pipe needs to be is dictated by where you cut the holes in each of the muffler pipes. The added pipe has to be long enough to span between these two holes.

I would make a cardboard template first. Roll up some construction paper, etc, to the diameter of your pipe. Cut that to approximate length, then shape the ends to contour around the muffler pipes. Start over as needed. Once you have it right, wrap the template around the real metal pipe, mark it, cut it. Now hold the metal pipe in place, and mark both muffler pipes. Now cut out the holes in the muffler pipes. Now weld in the uk mod pipe.

Note, you really want this done with the correct mig wire, so it doesn't rust. Our exhaust systems are quality Stainless Steel. Your uk mod pipe should be as well. But if you go to a muffler shop, they aren't going to use whatever wire is in their mig, which is probably the stuff for plain 'ol mild steel. Which despite their assurances, will rust and eventually fail. Probably not for years, but it will fail.

To do the welding right will require finding a shop that knows what they are doing and actually cares. That can be a tall order. For this reason, I would consider using jb weld instead. It won't rust. While they make a high heat version of jb, I don't think its needed. Muffler doesn't get THAT hot.