S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

***Official Intake Thread***

Old 03-29-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Mar 29 2010, 07:05 AM
How did you have hydrolock issues? It takes a LOT of water to hydrolock a motor. You either have to fully submerge the air filter, or the intake tubing needs to be able to accumulate several cups of water. I don't believe the AEM V1 / Fujita / Injen CAIs can accumulate enough water to hydrolock a motor unless it is parked in heavy rain with the front right corner significantly higher than the back left.
I was able to Hydrolock driving in a severe thunder storm on a freshly paved highway. The car was a 92 Civic with GSR swap and ITR AEM inake. I will never ever run a CAI for any car after that experience.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Mar 29 2010, 07:05 AM
How did you have hydrolock issues? It takes a LOT of water to hydrolock a motor. You either have to fully submerge the air filter, or the intake tubing needs to be able to accumulate several cups of water. I don't believe the AEM V1 / Fujita / Injen CAIs can accumulate enough water to hydrolock a motor unless it is parked in heavy rain with the front right corner significantly higher than the back left.
well trust me , over here in singapore, when it rains, it kinda pour bucket loads on ya, even though it dosent flood, the rain just run along the bonnet shut lines and flow toward the headlight and onto the hid ballast located below and then drips onto the filter making it wet, and with sufficient water plus the suction from the engine, pretty soon there will be enough water accumilated at the lower section of the intake pipe to get suck into your engine.

the picture below is just after i pour a little along the shut line that runs toward the right side headlight, that where the water gonna drip from and to.
Name:  Pix710.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  62.2 KB
Old 03-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I hydrolocked my '86 Civic in heavy rain with a STOCK intake, but that doesn't really mean that stock intakes have hydrolock issues, does it? Since I have no idea how the CAI was designed on the '92 civic with GSR conversion, I can't really respond to that. What I think is being overlooked in this thread is that the "filter on a stick" intakes that are on topic with this thread can't hydrolock unless there is so much water in the intake that the engine has no choice but to suck a large amount of water up 2' of 3" tubing. That might take 5 liters of water.

BTW, think about when you are drinking through a straw, and the glass is almost empty. When there is just a little bit left in the glass, the straw starts sucking in air, and you just get that burbling sound. There is still liquid in the bottom, but there isn't enough to fully submerge the end of the straw.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by gernby,Mar 30 2010, 07:12 AM
I hydrolocked my '86 Civic in heavy rain with a STOCK intake, but that doesn't really mean that stock intakes have hydrolock issues, does it? Since I have no idea how the CAI was designed on the '92 civic with GSR conversion, I can't really respond to that. What I think is being overlooked in this thread is that the "filter on a stick" intakes that are on topic with this thread can't hydrolock unless there is so much water in the intake that the engine has no choice but to suck a large amount of water up 2' of 3" tubing. That might take 5 liters of water.

BTW, think about when you are drinking through a straw, and the glass is almost empty. When there is just a little bit left in the glass, the straw starts sucking in air, and you just get that burbling sound. There is still liquid in the bottom, but there isn't enough to fully submerge the end of the straw.
You can search the AEM Acura Integra Type-R 3 inch intake. I never submerged the filter in anyway. It would be foolish to think that you can't hydrolock w/o being submerged. The filter just gets saturated over time in a heavy down pour. The result of my engine locking up was a bent and twisted rod and a hole in the block. Which I didn't mind because the next day I was going to pick up my 01 silverstone. I drove the s2000 while I built a b20 bottom end. All in all it was a learning experience.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 AM

anyone have experiences with a snorkel intake driving year round with snow. Looking into picking up a used passwordjdm intake but i'm not sure if its the best idea for driving year round in toronto.I would imagine that if its fine in a heavy rain storm it should be fine in a heavy snow storm. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Snow won't cause a problem for any intake. Even if you channel the snow flakes straight into the throttle body with no filter, it would be fine.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Apr 13 2010, 09:19 AM
Snow won't cause a problem for any intake. Even if you channel the snow flakes straight into the throttle body with no filter, it would be fine.
Solid! My main concern is if the snow level would reach the snorkel. Um not really necessary but out of interest why would snow entering throttle body not have an negative effect? And how long have you had your password jdm intake? how are you finding it? I read that you dnymatted it and re tightened the lid with a different screw or something. Have you had any other problems? I'm not to concerned about fitment as I'll probaly have someone qualified help me or install for me, and i'm willing to cut my hood as i read the many have found the hood does sit flush. Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Snow flakes aren't very dense at all, so a huge snow flake doesn't have a lot of water to it. On top of that, water droplets don't cause a problem with the combustion cycle, since it takes a LOT of water to increase compression ratio enough to bend a rod or crack the block.

I have some buyer's remorse over my PWJDM, since I still struggle some with the BRAP noise. It's just REALLY friggin' hard to get that one screw tight enough. I know people like to blame the installer for these problems, but there are definitely production issues that impact the fitment. I had to drill out several holes to get the lid to bolt down, and this had NOTHING to do with my install process. I really wish I had just gotten a K&N FIPK or Typhoon.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Apr 14 2010, 02:27 PM
Snow flakes aren't very dense at all, so a huge snow flake doesn't have a lot of water to it. On top of that, water droplets don't cause a problem with the combustion cycle, since it takes a LOT of water to increase compression ratio enough to bend a rod or crack the block.

I have some buyer's remorse over my PWJDM, since I still struggle some with the BRAP noise. It's just REALLY friggin' hard to get that one screw tight enough. I know people like to blame the installer for these problems, but there are definitely production issues that impact the fitment. I had to drill out several holes to get the lid to bolt down, and this had NOTHING to do with my install process. I really wish I had just gotten a K&N FIPK or Typhoon.
Thanks, ya relative humidity decreases with temp drop, didn't think about that way.
Dang i thought that had solved the braap sound. I already had planned for using dynmat and looking into redrilling holes if i were to get that intake. THe other choice would be the comptechs intake, Maybe I'll stick with that. i was just interested in a snorkel intake. Thanks though i appreciate your honest opinion on the intake
Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Fujita CAI and drive year round in Salt Lake City. They held the winter olympics here--we get plenty of snow. No issues so far.

Quick Reply: ***Official Intake Thread***