S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

3" or 4" cai

Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nsanes2k
setup looks good, I went with the 3.5" custom just waiting on my haltech to see what numbers it puts down

for anyone looking to make this setup. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...l/page__st__75

Have to say, your Reflect-a-gold wrapping skills are top notch!

In comparison I butchered mine.. wish I got the 1.5" instead of the 2" tape... ah well.

Name:  IMG_20160828_154001_zps28mpztxq.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  200.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
WilloW (07-18-2020)
Old 08-29-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snitm
Originally Posted by Nsanes2k' timestamp='1427312689' post='23554430
setup looks good, I went with the 3.5" custom just waiting on my haltech to see what numbers it puts down

for anyone looking to make this setup. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...l/page__st__75

In comparison I butchered mine.. wish I got the 1.5" instead of the 2" tape... ah well.

Did you put 2 90* pipes together?!?! Good idea to get it lower to clear the fan. What did you use after that second 90* pipe?

The trick for the tape is to cut the piceces of tape to just fit around the circumferance of the pipe. I think it was like 11" or something. Then barely overlap each one. You don't want to wrap it with the continuous roll of tape. Mine came out decent. Didn't have enough tape to do the the entire lower pipe so i need to order some more...

Name:  Wrapped%20Intake%20Pipe.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  110.8 KB
Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by K20iVTEC
Did you put 2 90* pipes together?!?! Good idea to get it lower to clear the fan. What did you use after that second 90* pipe?
I used a 90 degree for the top pipe (that I cut ~2" off of each end) and then a Upgr8 45 degree for the bottom pipe. Then I just used a 90 degree silicone elbow coupler to a Vibrant velocity stack with a Vibrant filter over top. As you noted, it turned out to fit perfectly behind my mishimoto radiator + slim fans.

Thanks for the tip on using multiple pieces of reflect-a-gold; I might leave what I have on there but go over the top pipe again using your technique. Won't be perfect but it'll likely look a bit better (and will have more thermal protection).
Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by snitm
Originally Posted by Nsanes2k' timestamp='1427312689' post='23554430

Lol I just got lucky
Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally built and installed mine over the weekend. I did a 3.5" to 2.75" silicone reducer at the TB to a 3.5" horizontal, then a 3.5" vertical piece, then a 3.5" to 4" silicone coupler to the 4" horizontal to get to the fender well and then a 90 degree coupler to a small section of 4" pipe to connect the 4" K&N filter. The place didn't have a 2' 3.5" 90 degree piece, so I just bought a straight 3.5" piece, cut it to length and used the 3.5" silicone elbow.

It is a snug fit all around, but no rattling or scraping that I can see so far (other than where I f-cked up the gold foil wrapping when doing the final install).

For now I just put a crank case filter on the valve cover breather and another for the pump thing (I have an '04). I did buy the ECU fix that was listed earlier in the thread, but I didn't feel like lying on my back in the foot-well to splice it into the ECU, so I'll do that some other time and the crank case filter will just do the job now.

I had an EBay 3" one with a K&N on it and I can definitely feel a difference via the butt dyno. It is definitely more responsive. I already had the Ballade sports 70mm TB on there, so the new custom intake may have paired well with it which is what I'm noticing. Now I just need to get the Ballade intake manifold and that will cover the intake side of the car. And a Ballade header to replace the cheap one I have.

Of course the main thing I need to do is somehow convince the wife to allow me to drop $1500 to get the AEM ECU, because right now I'm just running the stock one. I know I'm leaving a good bit of power and smooth running on the table by running the stock one.

Car now has the custom intake, 70mm TB, cheapo Ebay header, 73mm test pipe and Berk 3" exhaust. Sounds awesome, definitely has a lot more oomph than it had when stock and is getting to be where I want it.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Daremo
Finally built and installed mine over the weekend. I did a 3.5" to 2.75" silicone reducer at the TB to a 3.5" horizontal, then a 3.5" vertical piece, then a 3.5" to 4" silicone coupler to the 4" horizontal to get to the fender well and then a 90 degree coupler to a small section of 4" pipe to connect the 4" K&N filter. The place didn't have a 2' 3.5" 90 degree piece, so I just bought a straight 3.5" piece, cut it to length and used the 3.5" silicone elbow.

It is a snug fit all around, but no rattling or scraping that I can see so far (other than where I f-cked up the gold foil wrapping when doing the final install).

For now I just put a crank case filter on the valve cover breather and another for the pump thing (I have an '04). I did buy the ECU fix that was listed earlier in the thread, but I didn't feel like lying on my back in the foot-well to splice it into the ECU, so I'll do that some other time and the crank case filter will just do the job now.

I had an EBay 3" one with a K&N on it and I can definitely feel a difference via the butt dyno. It is definitely more responsive. I already had the Ballade sports 70mm TB on there, so the new custom intake may have paired well with it which is what I'm noticing. Now I just need to get the Ballade intake manifold and that will cover the intake side of the car. And a Ballade header to replace the cheap one I have.

Of course the main thing I need to do is somehow convince the wife to allow me to drop $1500 to get the AEM ECU, because right now I'm just running the stock one. I know I'm leaving a good bit of power and smooth running on the table by running the stock one.

Car now has the custom intake, 70mm TB, cheapo Ebay header, 73mm test pipe and Berk 3" exhaust. Sounds awesome, definitely has a lot more oomph than it had when stock and is getting to be where I want it.
Be careful with that. I dyno'd my car on the stock ECU for shits and giggles before i got tuned with a 70MM TB and ported IM. AFR spiked to 15.7 at 7k RPM and were about 14 the rest of the RPM band.

stock TB should be fine. the bigger TB lets in a good bit more air leaning it out more than the oem ecu can correct.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I know I need to do something about fuel adjustments soon. Just have to figure out what I can get away with right now.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Hey guys I'm about to piece together my "custom" 3.5" intake and before I purchase the the 3.5" piping etc. I wanted to know if anyone is running their 3.5" intake with a thicker aluminum radiator like my Koyo and utilizing the stock fans. I have seen a few people with slim fans but wondering if I can clear the factory fans. I currently can't measure the space available as my engine is not in the car currently but I'm trying to order everything up ASAP. Any info?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by NYS2000TURBO
Hey guys I'm about to piece together my "custom" 3.5" intake and before I purchase the the 3.5" piping etc. I wanted to know if anyone is running their 3.5" intake with a thicker aluminum radiator like my Koyo and utilizing the stock fans. I have seen a few people with slim fans but wondering if I can clear the factory fans. I currently can't measure the space available as my engine is not in the car currently but I'm trying to order everything up ASAP. Any info?
You need the slim fans. Mishimoto radiator + regular fans wouldn't fit with an AEM v2 intake (3.5" behind radiator). I bought the slim fans and it fit fine. I now have a custom 3.5" to 4" intake and it also fits fine.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran mine with one stock fan since the ac has been removed. Its a tight fit but works

Quick Reply: 3" or 4" cai