S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.
View Poll Results: make power or lose power?
make power
0%
lose power
100.00%
not lose power but no noticeable gains
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

anyone ever use this for exhaust?

Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever use this for exhaust?

Hey so I have an idea using an old pipe off of my old Chevy nova.

Its a chambered pipe like the ones that were used on the old 60's Corvette side pipes. Now before it even comes to mind, no im not going to put sidepipes on the S. Lol

here is my idea, I like the look of just a pipes coming.out the back with no mufflers. So I was thinking of putting a 2.5" 3' chambered pipe shortly off the header then a y pipe spliting into 2 2.5" pipes with the tips curling down at the end of the tips. I know it will be loud but I think it wouldnt drone too much because of the design.of the pipe, and I think it would flow quite well with the chambered pipe and sound nice and deep. What do you guys think? think it would be worth the hassle of fabing up the exhaust?

Here are some pics of the type of pipe im talking about from there Website. Not the exact pipe ill be useing...

Old 09-29-2012, 06:36 AM

test it and see on a dyno run with before and after read outs
Old 09-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Should I test it against my stock exhaust. hmmm if this sounds good and doesn't drone and makes good power I may start going into production for some extra cash
Old 09-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used this on my old custom 3' build. It won't make a difference. To be honest it's basically like a higher flowing resonator. I used one in place of a those regular style resonators just to help eliminate some droning inside the cabin, but not to alter the sound of the exhaust to much. Worked pretty well like I thought it would but no difference in power.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ
I used this on my old custom 3' build. It won't make a difference. To be honest it's basically like a higher flowing resonator. I used one in place of a those regular style resonators just to help eliminate some droning inside the cabin, but not to alter the sound of the exhaust to much. Worked pretty well like I thought it would but no difference in power.
Your saying the stock exhaust will make the same power as a full 2.5" header back exhaust with one of these in place? How long, was the one you used? And was it used with only the chambered pipe or was it used with other mufflers in place also? Do you by chance have any video or sound clips of it if it was the only one used?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 03suzuka...s2000
Originally Posted by HvRRZ' timestamp='1348960260' post='22046907
Your saying the stock exhaust will make the same power as a full 2.5" header back exhaust with one of these in place? How long, was the one you used? And was it used with only the chambered pipe or was it used with other mufflers in place also? Do you by chance have any video or sound clips of it if it was the only one used?
Oh my apologies. I was dead tired when I read your post, and for some reason I thought you were asking if there would be a difference between using this as apposed to a regular type resonator set up.
There will def be a difference in power compared to the stock system. Majority of the benefits you will see once you get the car tuned of course.
My set up was a 3" system. This was used mid way into the piping as a source to quiet down the droning inside the cabin(the exhaust was first made without this and without a resonator with deafening drone). It was a single system, and it was finished off with an HKS Carbon Ti Turbo Muffler.

Note: We did try the system out without the muffler and just the straight pipe exit.... It's a sweet sound, and amazing at WOT. The addition of the HKS muffler did very little to change it. Just gave it a bit of a deeper tone, but that scream at WOT is beautiful. JGTC sound.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ
Originally Posted by 03suzuka...s2000' timestamp='1348967568' post='22047034
[quote name='HvRRZ' timestamp='1348960260' post='22046907']
Oh my apologies. I was dead tired when I read your post, and for some reason I thought you were asking if there would be a difference between using this as apposed to a regular type resonator set up.
There will def be a difference in power compared to the stock system. Majority of the benefits you will see once you get the car tuned of course.
My set up was a 3" system. This was used mid way into the piping as a source to quiet down the droning inside the cabin(the exhaust was first made without this and without a resonator with deafening drone). It was a single system, and it was finished off with an HKS Carbon Ti Turbo Muffler.

Note: We did try the system out without the muffler and just the straight pipe exit.... It's a sweet sound, and amazing at WOT. The addition of the HKS muffler did very little to change it. Just gave it a bit of a deeper tone, but that scream at WOT is beautiful. JGTC sound.
[/quote]

Awsome thats what I was hoping for. Deep at idle and low rpm. Then high pitch Indy car type sounding in the high rpm. But with the design of the pipe hopefully with no drone at all and minimal rasp
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 AM

let us know how it comes out i once thought of this too but i thought i was just going crazy but obviously im not if someone else thought of it too haha
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by S2K_@L3X
let us know how it comes out i once thought of this too but i thought i was just going crazy but obviously im not if someone else thought of it too haha
Yeah ive had the idea for a while. Just been thinking about it since I have one of these pipes under my parents house off of my old Chevy nova that I crashed. And with the design of the pipe it "should" have no drone. And with the chambered pipe it has an awesome and unique sound and nothing sounds better. Hopefully it has the same effect on My S2000. Subscribe to this thread. I will keep it posted and eventually post a video. Might take a while tho because I,will be building it myself. because I dont think any exhaust shop will do a headerback for me.... Now only question is should I do the 2.5" or up it to 3"?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM

dont these things cause massive back firing sounds ?

Quick Reply: anyone ever use this for exhaust?