S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Different Gears

Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that most of the expressed opinions about 4.77's are much more favorable than mine. However, there are many people that used to have 4.77's that no longer have 4.77's. I also think that most people who have 4.77's don't autocross or do HPDE's, and don't spend much time on the highway.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=gernby,Aug 11 2010, 11:11 AM] I agree that most of the expressed opinions about 4.77's are much more favorable than mine.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Former Sponsor

The highway issue isn't just about noise. My 4.77's in my '02 AP1 made the car kind of "twitchy" on the highway, since the added power also came with increased engine breaking. Any change in throttle either caused the car to accellerate or decellerate more agressively than it would with stock gears. It just made for a less relaxing highway cruise.

For those that haven't ridden in an S2000 with 4.77's on the highway, you can see what it's like by just cruising in 5th gear. The final ratio in 5th with stock gears is about like 4.77's in 6th gear.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sparrow,Aug 11 2010, 07:47 AM
I rarely use first gear b/c the gearing is short enough to start off in second eliminating a rather quick 1-2 shift.
I thought this was kind of funny. You've basically converted your 6 speed into a 5 speed. What's the value of that?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 11 2010, 03:51 PM
The highway issue isn't just about noise. My 4.77's in my '02 AP1 made the car kind of "twitchy" on the highway, since the added power also came with increased engine breaking. Any change in throttle either caused the car to accellerate or decellerate more agressively than it would with stock gears. It just made for a less relaxing highway cruise.

For those that haven't ridden in an S2000 with 4.77's on the highway, you can see what it's like by just cruising in 5th gear. The final ratio in 5th with stock gears is about like 4.77's in 6th gear.
I've driven for 5 hours in mine without any issues whatsoever. I've even got a 70mm straight through exhaust and after market header. My G/F doesn't complain about comfort and I get good gas mileage.

The only difficulty I have with my gears is restraint - it really is such a blast

Each to their own I guess
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=gernby,Aug 11 2010, 11:51 AM] The highway issue isn't just about noise.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Sparrow, I don't know you, but it seems pretty clear from your post, avatar, and signature, that you are proud of your jackassedness. I'm quite sure that my statement about cruising on the highway isn't the biggest load of crap you've ever read. If it truly is the biggest load of crap you've ever read, then you must not do much reading.

Personally, I think your opinion about 4.77's is equally as unusual as mine. I've NEVER heard of anyone liking 4.77's because it makes 2nd gear low enough to just quit using 1st gear! It really sounds to me that you would have been better served by just getting TALLER gears (3.7's or 3.6's) instead of 4.77's so that you could just make 1st gear more to your liking. After all, the effective change in the final drive is really just about the first and last gear. If you would have just made your 1st gear more usable to you, then you would still have a 6 speed.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 11 2010, 01:05 PM
Sparrow, I don't know you, but it seems pretty clear from your post, avatar, and signature, that you are proud of your jackassedness. I'm quite sure that my statement about cruising on the highway isn't the biggest load of crap you've ever read. If it truly is the biggest load of crap you've ever read, then you must not do much reading.

Personally, I think your opinion about 4.77's is equally as unusual as mine. I've NEVER heard of anyone liking 4.77's because it makes 2nd gear low enough to just quit using 1st gear! It really sounds to me that you would have been better served by just getting TALLER gears (3.7's or 3.6's) instead of 4.77's so that you could just make 1st gear more to your liking. After all, the effective change in the final drive is really just about the first and last gear. If you would have just made your 1st gear more usable to you, then you would still have a 6 speed.
Don't take it personal I really am a nice guy and I don't mean any harm by what I say. I did not get 4.77s just to use 2nd instead of first. That would be retarded. And I have not eliminated first gear usage I just at times use second from a stop. I like having 6th gear as short as it is. And I like how gears 2-5 appear much more useable in my fun now. I like to go through that range on the backrds so the short gearing was ideal for me. 6th gear is ideal to my driving style on the hwy.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 11 2010, 01:05 PM
Sparrow, I don't know you, but it seems pretty clear from your post, avatar, and signature, that you are proud of your jackassedness.
Yes I do take pride in my jackassedness ... check my sig now
Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

I found 4.77's to help me get above the Invidia drone range on the highway. (V3, no test pipe.)

Also, I tracked with them a bit. I chased down other S2000's through one particular set of esses like crazy because they were either running out of 2nd gear or weren't producing any torque at low RPM's in third. I was in that sweet spot of third that let me climb on their tales and get the point by for the straight.

Still true, in other sections of track I was the one running out of gear and wishing they were a bit taller. It all depends on driving style and what you enjoy. What works for one may not for another.

Best mod I've ever done, though. True story.

My suggestion to the OP is to look at this site and do some comparison shopping of the real world engine speeds: http://www.turnzero.com/technical_resource...gear_calculator It's not as great as you think, but the fun factor seems to be exponential.

Side note: I also spent some time with 4.44's. I don't know many drivers who have spent time with both but, I can say that I would never consider them again. Just not enough of a difference in daily driving fun for the money.

Quick Reply: Different Gears