S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Header + Test Pipe + Catback and No E-Manage

Old 11-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header + Test Pipe + Catback and No E-Manage

I've done all my research on the Ballistic Motorsports tuned E-Manage Ultimate but until I can afford that bad boy I'm just running w/out anything

I sold my VAFC-II over the summer which I had tuned for my setup but I honestly like the way the car runs better w/out the VAFC....I'm pretty sure there was an extra kick of power from the VAFC and that was mostly due to dropping Vtec but overall I prefer the way the car runs w/out the VAFC

I have the following mods on my '05:

-- K&N FIPK
-- Berk Header
-- Berk Test Pipe
-- Tanabe Medallion Touring Catback

I know I'm most likely running a little rich down low but does it hurt the car? Can I run w/out a piggyback like the E-Manage for as long as I want? To me the car seems to be running fine but maybe in the long run it's doing damage? I guess what I'm getting at is: is the E-manage a necessary mod for me being that I have a full exhaust on there?

any input would be appreciated...thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be fine, its not going to damage anything. I have had full bolt on's on my daily driver, and never have problems.

Also running rich is safer than running lean, so your good to go.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Nov 3 2010, 01:46 PM
You will be fine, its not going to damage anything. I have had full bolt on's on my daily driver, and never have problems.

Also running rich is safer than running lean, so your good to go.
ehh IDK man...from what i've seen and read AP2's run leaner up top than even 02-03 AP1's...and w/ I/full exhaust they tend to run on the dangerously lean side up top...
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're going to be running very lean without a tune. That being said... I ran intake, header, tp, exhaust for a while on my04, hard driving, with no issues.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM

yeah I do remember the tuner telling me that on the first run without a tune on the VAFC that my S2K was running a little too lean up top and a little too rich down low...he he enriched the top end and leaned out the low end

so I guess the Ballistic Motorsports pre-tuned E-Manage would be perfect then
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Maybe i'm dumb and read something wrong, but I thought you could only subract fuel with a VAFC, not add.

Edit: Did a quick search and technically you can add fuel with a VAFC, but only about 2-3% before your ECU freaks out on you. So its not good for your stock ECU apparently.

Anyways, I have seen alot of AP2's with full bolt ons with no tune running the crap out of their car with no problems. Sure it will run leaner, but I doubt its to the extent where you might blow it up.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 AM

Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Intake, header and header back 70mm exhaust and my car runs lean down low. My VAFC II can't do much to help as the header back really does lean things out. I've added 1 point of fuel down below and subtracted 3 points of fuel up top. VAFC doesn't like adding too much fuel - it'll back fire and throw a CEL.

Even with this set up my tuner didn't hear any knock with headphones and a microphone in the block.

When I ran Intake, header, 63mm TP and 60mm cat back, the car started out rich, went lean, then rich past VTEC.

Lean conditions are only really an issue when the intake charge is hot i.e FI

Oh, and the cars have a lean CEL - mine has never been tripped.

Drive the car and enjoy
Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM

no problems here. invidia race header, 70mm test, invidia dual n1. 10k miles no tune. i also have the aem v2 cai. okada coils, irridium spark plugs. not one code ever. i do however am ready to install the aem ecu. just need the time.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Drive it and have fun. When you have the extra $$$, then pick up a pre-tuned Emanage. Trust me, it really makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Header + Test Pipe + Catback and No E-Manage