S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

HKS Single vs EVS Tuning Single Exhaust

Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HKS Single vs EVS Tuning Single Exhaust

My S2000 is getting paid off this month and I am looking to celebrate by getting an exhaust!

Background:
Stock 07' S2000 with a 63mm hfc. Car is primarily used as a weekend car with canyon drives, some long distant cruising and occasional track day use (1-2 events a year). I may be switching the S over for daily driving for a little bit later in the year. If it helps I have a flashpro already and will be tuning the car with it.

What I want out of the exhaust:
I'm focusing more on performance (hence the single exit exhaust) but I would like nice, livable sound lol. I want to be able to see a linear power band if possible. I will be using a high flow cat with the exhaust unless evasive is still including the test pipe with the purchase of the EVS exhaust (if I go that route).

Experience with exhausts:
I have never owned an aftermarket exhaust before but my friend let me borrow his 70mm greddy rs exhaust for a month. I liked it but thought it was not as clean of a sound as I would like. I got to drive an Ap1 with a HKS Single and 60mm hfc. I liked the way it sounded but I am curious about the EVS exhaust.

70mm vs 75mm:
Since the S2000 is a naturally aspirated car, is it better in terms of performance to get the 70mm piping or the 75mm piping? I would want to go FI eventually but that won't be for a very long time. Which system will open up the power band more? I'm not expecting huge gains I just want to wake the car up some more.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these exhausts? What were the gains like? How was it living with these exhausts? Post up any dyno charts if you have any
Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Gernby has shown some gains with 75mm in conjunction with a larger test pipe/HFC. But you're likely not going to feel any butt dyno difference over 5mm.

All 70+mm singles tend to be on the loud side. The HKS is one of the quieter of the bunch.

I imagine that the Heimholtz resonator on the EVS should help to attenuate some drone.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

the EVS drones a lot less than the HKS
Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Whatever I get I am going to be matching the exhaust with the proper hfc or tp (i.e. 70mm hfc to 70mm exhaust).

I'm still going back and forth between the 2 exhausts. Obviously one is cheaper than the other but which one is going to offer the best performance?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dv55xc
Thanks for the feedback guys. Whatever I get I am going to be matching the exhaust with the proper hfc or tp (i.e. 70mm hfc to 70mm exhaust).

I'm still going back and forth between the 2 exhausts. Obviously one is cheaper than the other but which one is going to offer the best performance?
if you aren't getting it tuned i don't think you'll get any more performance aside from reducing weight. most of the gain is from trading the cat to tp/hfc, when i switched to my T1R-EM single+tp it was a big difference but really loud so i put the stock cat back on and now i just felt like the engine was working like 2% less. eventually got a HFC and now the power is back but this is without any dyno testing.

the two exhausts though, the HKS is louder but probably weighs less due to a straighter design, but the EVS will be quieter due to the resonator but weigh more. if you do get tuned the 75mm HKS will probably end up netting you more gains.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm also keen on an HKS Hi Power single 75mm instead of the Greddy RS or Invidia N1. Currently have an Invidia 60mm TP on with my stock exhaust. Looking forward to some gains, weight savings and awesome tone
There might be a trade for a J's Racing 70RS from a friend as well. It's either I trade with him or buy the HKS. Either one will be exciting but I think the J's might actually be a bit louder even though its 5mm smaller. That's probably due to its smaller cylindrical resonator in the middle compare to the HKS' larger oval shaped one.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies you guys. Does anyone have any experience with the power gains on either of these cars? Any dyno graphs or numbers to show?
Old 03-22-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a greddy rs single on my 2007 s2000 and felt a little bit more of a difference than when i switched over to the hks single 75mm paired with 70mm test pipe.

i honestly like the hks better. doesnt drone that bad as the greddy.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my HKS single is paired with a ballade header and 70mm HFC.

i've received many comps on how well the S2 sounds.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by JS2K617
i had a greddy rs single on my 2007 s2000 and felt a little bit more of a difference than when i switched over to the hks single 75mm paired with 70mm test pipe.

i honestly like the hks better. doesnt drone that bad as the greddy.
And the adjustable TI tip on the HKS is a bonus too

Quick Reply: HKS Single vs EVS Tuning Single Exhaust