S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Hytech Header Length Limit Exhaust Options?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hytech Header Length Limit Exhaust Options?

I just bought a Hytech header used from a fellow S2ki'er, I jumped on it pretty fast without a lot of planning because I know they're hard to come by. I believe they're longer than stock, though I don't know by how much.

My header came with a test pipe, but I can't use it. I have to run a high flow cat, both for competition reasons and because I don't want to contribute to NOx's and VOx's. I believe the test pipe is like 3.5" shorter than the stock cat? It's hard to find info on the internet on this (I think the stock cat is 19.5" long and I measured the test pipe at just under 16" furthest edge to edge). I believe the header is more than 3.5" longer than the stock header, but that's just conjecture from looking at pictures, I can't find any data.

For the sake of getting my car ready for the National Tour coming up in just over a week, it'd be nice to order a lightweight single cat-back that's already made up and just fits together and is quiet (not that I can find any good numerical data on that either). But does the extra length mean I have to go with a custom exhaust? I guess I probably can't run a Berk HFC with the hytech header and expect it all to meet up.

I'm starting to confuse myself. When it comes down to it, here's what I need: a HFC and exhaust system that bolts up the Hytech header and preferrably. If that means I have to go custom, that's fine too, I just need to figure that out.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if this will help. But when I ordered my hytech header (still haven't received it) I ordered a custom HFC made, in order to have it match up to my Greddy SE Exhaust. Maybe try seeing if a shop would be able to convert the test pipe to HFC using a universal unit? Or have one made with a universal cat. That way it should match up.

Here is a the link from GT Motoring regarding their sale of the Hytech Header. GT Motoring/Hytech Header sale thread

Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a HFC and exhaust, take it to an exhaust shop, they will cut the HFC and reweld it in to fit right.

You could also buy a test pipe and get just the cat from Random Technology and take those two parts to an exhaust shop and the same thing. I built a 70mm HFC this way before they were available premade.

There is a secondary benefit to this in that your exhaust will probably fit down the channel in the body a lot better than just matching up some random parts (from lots of experience).
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a HFC and exhaust, take it to an exhaust shop, they will cut the HFC and reweld it in to fit right.

You could also buy a test pipe and get just the cat from Random Technology and take those two parts to an exhaust shop and the same thing. I built a 70mm HFC this way before they were available premade.

There is a secondary benefit to this in that your exhaust will probably fit down the channel in the body a lot better than just matching up some random parts (from lots of experience).
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by LostMotion

that's a better suggestion than cutting the length of main pipe of exhaust.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just take one of these to a local muffler shop, and ask them to weld it in.
http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-5995...agnaflow+59956
Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 AM

just sell me the hytech and test pipe, problem solved!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. That's basically where I was headed with this. I ordered the HFC. I might just risk it and order a Burns Stainless muffler and weld it on after the resonator section where my turn down is.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would definitely probably be wise to order a different HFC than wait for Hytech to make you one. I'm currently sitting at 10 weeks for my Hytech header and test pipe.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CD7SirAccord
I'm currently sitting at 10 weeks for my Hytech header and test pipe.
My Hytech header and custom HFC is at 20 soon to be 21 weeks....With an expected 4-6 more weeks per Greg at GT Motoring.

Quick Reply: Hytech Header Length Limit Exhaust Options?