S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Maxbore Throttle Body

Old 06-02-2013, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxbore Throttle Body

I would like to apologize ahead of time for the camera phone pictures. As you can tell I rather spend money on car parts than a camera

I'm creating this thread just to share my experience for those who are considering getting their OEM throttle body bored. I chose Maxbore because of their track record on some of the larger forums and their pricing ($99 to bore the throttle body and $35 to machine the shaft). People always say "you get what you pay for" but this is definitely an exception based on my intial impression.

Zoomed in to see the quality of work

The inlet of the throttle body is ~70mm and tapers down to ~65mm similar to the throttle body Toda does for ASM

I "measured" the opening of the intake manifold. There wasn't much of a difference between that and the throttle body (~64mm vs ~65mm), so there shouldn't be a problem with flow.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the workmanship and the turnaround time (5 day), and would recommend Maxbore to those who are in the market for this service. That's all I have for now. I will update this thread after I install it. And before people ask, I highly doubt I will get a chance to do a before/after dyno.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM

I wana contribute.

I also sent my throttle body and intake manifold to Maxbore. here's some picture

Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 AM

have you install them ?? how are them?=]
it seems pretty good.
How large do you bored the manifold?

Is it like core exchange when you send your TB n manifold to them?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 AM

I have not install them. the manifold is just port match the throttle body. What you do is send in your manifold and throttle body, he'll bore it and send it back. it depend on where you live but it can take up to 2 weeks. for me since I live in utah and he live in Florida it took a week to get there then a 2 day turn around time then another week back to me.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sam_law
have you install them ?? how are them?=]
it seems pretty good.
How large do you bored the manifold?

Is it like core exchange when you send your TB n manifold to them?

I installed mines a few day after creating this thread. It works flawlessly. I noticed a slight improvement in throttle response without any negatives. I didn't bore my intake manifold because I felt it wasn't necessary since my P2R throttle body is acting like a mini spacer.

No, there's no cores. You send them yours and they perform the work on your parts. If you need a spare tb or intake manifold, pm me because I have a spare.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 PM

is there a reason to go this rout instead of a 70mm skunk2 tb? i find skunk2's for sale at about 130ish
Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Unho1yghost
is there a reason to go this rout instead of a 70mm skunk2 tb? i find skunk2's for sale at about 130ish
Sorry I just saw this.

I purchased the 70mm alpha throttle body and got this done at the same time. I decided to used the Maxbore one over the Skunk2 one because of the return spring. The OEM return spring has more tension, and it returned the throttle body smoother (and possibly quicker). The Maxbore throttle body is tapered so I didn't have to port match the intake manifold.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:41 PM

I've been running a Maxbore for quite some time, works great.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the price I honestly prefer the omnipower throttle body. It's 70mm and tapers down to 68mm iirc. I had to bore out a good amount from the opening of the intake manifold to match it to the omnipower throttle body.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
For the price I honestly prefer the omnipower throttle body. It's 70mm and tapers down to 68mm iirc. I had to bore out a good amount from the opening of the intake manifold to match it to the omnipower throttle body.

It's hard to beat $99 (or whatever they go for) for a new throttle body, but you still have to bore out the intake manifold. This is a bolt on and go ported throttle body that's much cheaper than the alternatives.