S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake

Old 05-10-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, I'm thinking about running e85 but the dual-tune would run me about $700-$800

I already have a AEM V2 ems and a bdl 70mm tb that I havent installed.
So far my mods consist of a password:jdm kevlar intake, okada project coilpacks, toda std header, spoon tp and exhaust
I Was talking to a local shop owner/s2000 enthusiast and he asked me about my future plans for my car and when was I going to jump the trigger, I told him what mods I had and the only thing holding me back from my tune was port matching my IM and installing my bdl tb.
He told me that not to bother with it, get rid of my 60mm spoon tp/exhaust and toda header is worthless, he said they rob power and I could install more power effeciant parts My goal with my parts listed and a tune is 225-230 whp don't know if I could obtain that much power with my current parts/setup.
Whats your mpg with e85 vs 91 octane unless 93 octane is available in your area...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the larger throttle body is a toss up. imo it would work but only if you have the right intake pipe to match it. for instance, i netted large gains up top with the larger throttle body and the stepped intake. i would attribute the majority of the gains to the stepped intake but i don't think the gains would've been as great without a larger throttle body.

as far as the header, test pipe and exhaust go i would go bigger on the test pipe. which spoon exhaust do you have? i've always recommended a 3 inch single exit exhaust. with a test pipe alone there will be gains but i'm sure there's more mid range hp to be had with a larger test pipe and exhaust. the header seems to be a toss up. the stock header is very well designed. it's only downfall is that it's heavy. the one part i see on your mod list that you can get away without is the coilpacks. the stock coilpacks are fine. you don't need aftermarket ones.

as far as mpg with e85 i'm getting 20-22 with mixed city and freeway driving. i do have 93 available in the area but i never bothered to tune the car with 93. i'm sure if i were to tune it on 93 i could yield the same mpg as stock if not better.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
the larger throttle body is a toss up. imo it would work but only if you have the right intake pipe to match it. for instance, i netted large gains up top with the larger throttle body and the stepped intake. i would attribute the majority of the gains to the stepped intake but i don't think the gains would've been as great without a larger throttle body.

as far as the header, test pipe and exhaust go i would go bigger on the test pipe. which spoon exhaust do you have? i've always recommended a 3 inch single exit exhaust. with a test pipe alone there will be gains but i'm sure there's more mid range hp to be had with a larger test pipe and exhaust. the header seems to be a toss up. the stock header is very well designed. it's only downfall is that it's heavy. the one part i see on your mod list that you can get away without is the coilpacks. the stock coilpacks are fine. you don't need aftermarket ones.

as far as mpg with e85 i'm getting 20-22 with mixed city and freeway driving. i do have 93 available in the area but i never bothered to tune the car with 93. i'm sure if i were to tune it on 93 i could yield the same mpg as stock if not better.
I have the n1 single. I also have a 3 inch custom mendral bend stainless steel piping mounted on a hks high power muffler. It's a bit too load and kinda drones.....
Sucks if you're in cali
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a quick update. it has officially been over a year since my car first saw e85. it's still using the stock fuel lines and the stock fuel pump. the entire fuel system is stock minus the injectors. so those of you on the fence about running e85 on a stock fuel system because it's corrosive, don't worry about it lol. you're a-ok.

This is something I have been wondering, good to know!
Old 09-26-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow honestly this is giving high hopes for the f22. I myself find ways to get the most of its power without using any internal upgrades. So far i have a custom 3.5intake, stock headers, and 70mm tp, with 70mm dual greddy se with flashpro. I almost gave up on finding supporting upgrades but looking at this thread im very impressed.

My next list will be the ZDX tb along with port matching with my intake manifold, and either berk headers or plm headers. Thanks for showing us your graph!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pictures dont work. i want to see what it look like
Old 12-22-2017, 04:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
pictures dont work. i want to see what it look like
I am not able to retrieve all of the old photos from my photobucket account. This is the picture of the final results.

The red line is with a short ram 3 inch intake that I made. The blue line is with a stepped intake that I made. The intake is 3.5 inch tapering down to 3 inch as it approaches the throttle body.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not able to retrieve all of the old photos from my photobucket account. This is the picture of the final results.

The red line is with a short ram 3 inch intake that I made. The blue line is with a stepped intake that I made. The intake is 3.5 inch tapering down to 3 inch as it approaches the throttle body.
Im sure I missed it but how many inches of 3" pipe did you have? 6"?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
Im sure I missed it but how many inches of 3" pipe did you have? 6'?
giggity
Old 12-31-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

well speaking of aftermarket header, i just purchased the skunk2 header. as always, i will be posting results.
the header was tested this past weekend. i am not going to go into details over the results at this time.
i'm not going to be posting any graphs. i'll probably continue to do 3rd party testing but i probably won't be posting results on a public message board.

Do you have pictures of your intake, and what were the header dyno results?

Quick Reply: my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake