S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

N/A newbie

Old 02-07-2009, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N/A newbie

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an 00 S2k and I am considering mods to the engine.... at first I thought that the comptech supercharger would be the best deal but then it came to me that it would kind of a engineering sacrilege to put forced induction in such a beautifully prepared factory engine producing 120hp/liter. So I am aiming for the NA setup. I would like to know what are the best bolt ons that I can get and which would be the best EMS to get in order to make power without any internals of the engine. Also I have no tuning experience and would like advice on articles/websites I could read to help out when I take on the task at hand.
Also consider that I live in Panama, central america, and I want to be the only one touching my car,,,,, since the honda dealer doesn't even know how to turn off the maintenance required light,,,,,,

Thank you very much....
Old 02-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok well, power wise, any bolt-on will not make that much power. well tr1 power header and there 70mm sparrow can make 12 whp top peak and the j's racing or passwordjdm makes some powerful intakes so give that a look.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:24 AM

the j's or passwordjdm can make 11 whp on their own! and aem is good for a stand alone
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 AM

gearing is always fun. oem is 4.10 and you can bump up to 4.30, 4.44, 4.56, 4.77 for increased acceleration but lesser top end per gear...
Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, congrates on the purchase of the car, and welcome.

Take some time to search through the forum wih your specific question because believe me they have probably already been answered before.

Obviously if your looking for NA power then there are many things available....just depends on how extreme you want to go. You can start with your basic bolt-ons and a good tune. A good intake system(look into the official intake thread for your options), a effective header(take a look in the official header thread for more info on how each design and system available will effect your power), an a exhaust system(70mm has proven to make the most power, but smaller diameter make good power as well) is a good start for your NA goals.

From there you can use an EMS or Piggy Back system for tuning. If these combination of parts is done right then you could see good gains upwards of 230whp(remember we are just talking about peak numbers with that mention, but depending on your choices in the mods you may have less peak and greater mid range power).

These simple mods are easy to do yourself, and mostly bolt on or off installations aside from the ECU upgrade. That'll take a little more efort, but I'm sure you can find someone who would be willing to share there settings or even help you along with your tuning once your at that point.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 AM

From what I have read in the offcial threads the best power bolt-on upgrades in each category are the following:

Intake: PWJDM
Header: J's SPL
Exhaust: T1R 70RT or T1R 70R EM Sparrow
EMS: AEM

Those are the ones I an considering.

What horsepower gains should be expected??? ~25hp???

Also, please advise me on websites/articles so I can get started on tuning info,,,,, since I have no experience.

Thank you
Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your speculated numbers are good expectations of what you can make with those mods. Good choices on parts
Old 02-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks

Any advice on reading material for starters as myself?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Hmm i always though the T1R 70R-EM single would make/gain more power than the T1R 70R EM Sparrow
Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM

Yes, I thought that is the case too, but the difference is that single exhaust is that its very loud... that is why I'm taking into account the sparrow model...

Quick Reply: N/A newbie