S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

New in here.Opinions in my high comp. setup

Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New in here.Opinions in my high comp. setup

Hello to everybody,

I own an ap1 model and i want to share about my High compression setup.

JE high comp. pistons ( 11.5 : 1 compression )
Brian Crower rods
Brian crower stage 3 camshafts
skunk2 valve sprins pro series ( titanium )
OEM headgasket
AEM EMS tune or Greddy e-manage blue
I/H/E

I saw an article on turbomagazine site about the Fiber-reinforced metal (FRM) cylinder sleeves that are not good enough for aftermarket pistons ( just oem's ).

Do you know something about this ? Does anybody have aftermarket pistons on stock sleeves ?

I'm kinda dizzy right now about this.Any help would be appreciate.

Caius,
Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 PM

the s2000 has great internals i dont see there being a problem with the pistons not being able to handle higher compression, many people who go turbo here dont change sleeves just add a HG and run large amounts of boost without major problems
Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are only 2 companies that I know of, that offer FRM compatible pistons; one of which being Mahle.

If you are dead set on using JE pistons, you will need to have your block sleeved.

Everything else looks okay. I'm not to sure about the camshafts you have listed. There hasn't been anyone I know of, that has made power on BC camshafts.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:51 PM

+1 on the BC cams also why are you choosing JE. j's racing piston should work on a stock engine and they raise compression slightly more
Old 09-30-2008, 04:36 PM

hell use stock cams and just build the rest of the head and throw a spoon head gasket in there to raise your compression. the only thing this engine needs is a small port, a good polish, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, oversize valves, and a damn good tune you can turn over 10k rpm. put 4.77 gears in the rear and you have a quick little phucker
Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 PM

oh so it's just that easy.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone should take the plunge and glue two F20s or F22s together and have an inline 8 cylinder... F40/F44? Its so easy to do, I mean seriously how much is JB weld these days?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ArchAngel2K,Sep 30 2008, 04:36 PM
hell use stock cams and just build the rest of the head and throw a spoon head gasket in there to raise your compression. the only thing this engine needs is a small port, a good polish, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, oversize valves, and a damn good tune you can turn over 10k rpm. put 4.77 gears in the rear and you have a quick little phucker
oversized valves are a no go unless you've done major internal reworking. I'd only go with bigger valves if the displacement is increased a significant amount and have someone who can do some incredible head work.

and about turning to 10k, the stock bottom end can do it, but there's no point even with a better valvetrain because the cams won't allow you to make any power in that rev range. Power starts falling off at stock rev limit.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 AM

you go say that to inline pro they will slap you. their 300whp 2.5L stroker is using stock cams which are the best. i was thinking about the oversize valves from the 2.2 for some reason that was my bad. but see 1000 more rpm wouldnt hurt because the power doesnt drop off that much plus that kind of rpm with the 4.77's would do a lot for this car
Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 AM

I have the JE 11.5:1 pistons with Darton sleeves and OEM head gasket. I had to get sleeves because I had scored cylinder walls. I also had the block decked slightly, I still need to get that # from the machine shop so I can calculate what my true compression ratio is.

I had a pretty hard time finding readily available high compression pistons for sleeved motors. JE was pretty helpful when I called and talked to them, plus they had them in stock at the time

Quick Reply: New in here.Opinions in my high comp. setup