S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Progress with MY01

Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it was a dynojet. I got it dyno'd at mach V. Yeah my peak was about the same as a stock dyno just about. Which is wht originally threw me off.

I'm at work til 3pm est_ gotta run a few errands after work_ I'll get the sheets scanned in after.

I may go back today and see if they can print out a comparison of my best and a stock best to better highlight the differences.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, glad to hear your happy with it. Yeah the mid range is where more of your gains are easier to find. The motor is pretty much tapped out from the factory as far as peak hp goes. Also if you get a tune in there im sure there is at least another 10hp hiding somewhere
Old 05-11-2010, 04:32 AM

I have the exact same set up as you and will be installing the header, cat, and exhaust this weekend. Did you have any trouble getting the header and the cat bolts off?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by JNS2001,May 11 2010, 08:32 AM
I have the exact same set up as you and will be installing the header, cat, and exhaust this weekend. Did you have any trouble getting the header and the cat bolts off?
Yes it was a pain in the

We started at 8AM let the car cool down for 3 hours and then actually began unbolting exhaust and everythign around 11AM. Essentially the whole install took about 5 hours because we had to run back in forth to Sears and Home depot for bolts, nuts, etc.. and a 22MM Wrench... I cant remember what we even used that for, but make sure you have it

Having all the right tools defintely helps get the job done quicker, and easier. Unfortunately I am a S2noob let alone tuning

The bolts from header to cat were rusted on even with WD40 it was real difficult to get off. So we tried to slip the header out from underneath with cat attached. BAD IDEA. not enough clearance so we had to do alot of header wiggling to get it out.

TKIM had a very innovative idea to use the oem jack to seperate the engine and firewall just enough to give that 1mm of clearance, which worked like a charm. The hardest part was to get the OEM header out, but everything else was just about cakewalk.

PLM headers slipped in fairly easily and lined up flawlessly.

We reused the springs on the cat, but had to replace the nuts. The bolts should be fine to reuse.

** also, this was my first install, ever. I had ALOT of help from one of my buddies out here but he let me do most of the work. **
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Sounds like fun. I need to put my PLM on, I have had it sitting around for like 7 or 8 months now. Just don't have the time.

I bet you used the 22mm on the O2 sensor. Should have just used a crescent wrench. Good stuff though, exhaust really sounds great on these cars and the little bit of HP you gain is nice. Not to mention weight reduction. You may have dropped 70 pounds or so.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Finally scanned it in. Again, doesn't really show much as its just the 4 runs I did with all the bolt ons. I offered a good friend of mine to pay for half his dyno if he takes his stock S2, just so I have a comparison. I will try to get that up in the future.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 PM

i just installed my plm header today. did you rest your ecu after your mods? also how long after did you get dynoed from when you put ur mods on? i i dynoed on a dynopack and put down 225whp 156tq with short ram test pipe and catback, untuned in my 01 ap1. since then i changed to a cold air, got the plm header, and giles tune. im going back in about a month to get it dynoed there again and see what i put out. the dynoed i ran on HAS to read high...really high lol. but at least ill be able to see my gains.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by hypforlife32,May 12 2010, 12:29 AM
i just installed my plm header today. did you rest your ecu after your mods? also how long after did you get dynoed from when you put ur mods on? i i dynoed on a dynopack and put down 225whp 156tq with short ram test pipe and catback, untuned in my 01 ap1. since then i changed to a cold air, got the plm header, and giles tune. im going back in about a month to get it dynoed there again and see what i put out. the dynoed i ran on HAS to read high...really high lol. but at least ill be able to see my gains.
your numbers are probably uncorrected does it show the sae anywhere on the sheet? The shop that ran my dyno took in account for all the variables such as air pressure, humidity, air temp.... Therefore what I have compared to what you reads very differently.

I dyno'd 2 days after install and I didn't actually reset ecu until today... Regardless our ecu learns the mods ove time. I may dyno again elsewhere just to see. Who knows maybe I am losing power with my setup or have a leak somewhere that's causing this.

also where are you located? That may have something to do with it also.

I didn't gain in top end because the parts i ve put in weren't really supposed to increase my top end. But well see what I learn from furthur testing.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Correct, the 22MM was the O2 sensor. We had a crescent wrench but not a very good one and the last thing I wanted us to do was strip the damn sensor. $10 tool vs $30 sensor is an easy choice...

Either way, NATuned did a great job for his first install, and the exhaust sounds amazing. It definitely gained mid range power that was immediately noticeable. I agree that in no way should you be disappointed, power under the curve is far more important that peak power and you certainly gained a ton more. I could explain this mathematically to you, but point being you have much more usable power now and that will ultimately make your car faster and more enjoyable as a DD. Just don't get any noise ordnance tickets, the exhaust is LOUD at WOT.

I do wish you had gotten it dyno'd before we bolted everything on though... I'd wager that you gained at least 5 peak HP
Old 05-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Well the engineer in me found some numbers and it looks like your correction factor was 0.94 for that day. That means your peak gain was 206hp and 145lb-ft. Not bad considering a stock S2000 is known to put down around 190hp and 135lb-ft on the dynojet uncorrected.

If you could somehow get me the data from your run and your friend's I could run some more numbers haha...

Quick Reply: Progress with MY01